Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 14, 2017   #151
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default OSHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Can someone illuminate me on what the issue is with a replacement cord.

If the juice gets in there and the machine operates and doesn't cause harm to other equipment, what's the problem?

How are lives in danger from say, a circular saw with a replacement cord?

Please explain.

Or is this all sarcasm and I'm reading too much into it.
Here are the standards set forth.Really simple common sense.Osha covers the labor,material and tool use aspects for the contruction workplace.All tools are standardized for saftey in mind.A made up receptacle is allowable for use and purpose.i.e microwave on shelf,bench grinder bolted to table etc.Replacement parts are used.Now lets go to the 40th floor of a building,on top of mat steel and try dragging around a homemade rig around real men working.They will hopefully throw you and cord off the roof.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...able=STANDARDS

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=im...yword_rollover

Last edited by kurt; February 14, 2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add info/images
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #152
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have noticed companies aren't supplying squat now for power tools like they used to.
Very few job boxes on site either.
Ten years of being gone from this has seen some big changes for me.
Yesterday I was asked if I could stop by the office to pick up an 8 foot ladder for a job they wanted me to go to.
I am in my own truck.
I flat out said no, I dont mind a box of parts every now an then but I will not haul their ladders around for them.
I apologized for being a pain and told them I hope they understood.
To me that is using someone.
I knew the day was coming and I knew what my answer was going to be.
My personal truck is not their truck to use or take advantage of it is for me to get to and from work that is it.

Union companies flat out forbid the use of personal power tools, ladders and vehicles.
When I was running jobs I was at odds all of the time with upper management about this.

From what I have seen so far this company is using temps like me through the temp service and taking advantage of them by having them run around hauling their parts and tools in the temps vehicle.
I find this to be a chicken crap way to run a business.

Also putting me in charge of running and completing jobs by myself is not what I signed on or being paid for.
I hinted to the project manager about this yesterday too.
I didn't mention pay I told him that I have my way about doing things and didn't want to step on the toes of the people in charge as I wasn't in charge.
Things are being over looked that need to be addressed and the people/kids running the jobs aren't doing it.
More later got to get to work.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #153
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

this company is using temps like me through the temp service and taking advantage of them by having them run around hauling their parts and tools in the temps vehicle.

And when they get hurt in an auto accident, that will be a work-related injury covered by work comp. But they are probably on the temp company's work comp insurance, so they don't care.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #154
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

thanks, those regulations were a good read.

Although I wasn't referring to defective cords with kinks and obvious hazards, those are obviously not good at all.

"If there is a defect or evidence of damage that might expose an employee to injury, the defective or damaged item shall be removed from service, and no employee may use it until repairs and tests necessary to render the equipment safe have been made."

Good to see the regulations aren't too specific, requiring that "repairs and tests" be made by certified this or that.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #155
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Had an interesting conversation with a guy my age that I have never worked with before yesterday.
It was about circuits and pulling wire in conduit.
He is also the only person besides myself in this company and only about 4 that I have met in fire alarm that has worked as an electrician.
On a side note I am in a position where to protect myself I am just about going to have to toss someone else under the bus.
I find this very difficult and dont know what to do.
Any help off line in a PM will be (greatly) appreciated.

Worth
Old February 27, 2017   #156
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Why do some plugs have such a hard time going in and out of an extension cord receptacle? Am I supposed to bend the prongs with pliers to make them go in and out more easily?
Old February 27, 2017   #157
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default They are called Tamper Resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Why do some plugs have such a hard time going in and out of an extension cord receptacle? Am I supposed to bend the prongs with pliers to make them go in and out more easily?
Look at the configuration of the newer,safer,outlets and prongs, note the non straight profile(old prongs),versus the rounded,a mate is found on the "paired"larger female in receptable.Mainly for child safety,workers on the sites.As usual old will be phased out.See below.

http://ecmweb.com/qampa/stumped-code...les-gfcis-more

http://www.nfpa.org/public-education...al-receptacles

https://www.osha.gov/dte/grant_mater...calhazards.pdf

Last edited by kurt; February 27, 2017 at 04:38 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #158
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I live in a "right to work" state, so we don't have many union issues around here, thankfully.

We do have union trades present, but they aren't wide spread. Thank God.

A few years back the union of electricians (not sure of their title) tried to get a law passed that if a homeowner changed out more than 3 plug ins or switches that it would need an inspection and union labor. That is crazy. Switches are mechanical and wear out over time. Wires typically don't. White to white, black to black, green to green or bare. Red/blue is a separate issue. I am so sick of unions that make you pay big bucks for common sense.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #159
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the answer to my question a while back, Kurt.
Old May 11, 2017   #160
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Hello,

Quick question please. I have a 1-gang new work box. I intend to replace my old mobile home outlet.

My issue is with the ground wire. This new outlet will have three different pulls of 14-2 wires running to it. I have all three ground wires running to the one green ground screw on the new outlet. It is working fine however I don't think all three grounds should be stacked on that one little ground screw.

Whats the best way to hook up the ground with three runs of wire?

TIA
Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #161
henry
Tomatovillian™

Add a short section of wire up here they call it a pig tail, twist it and the three ground wires together with a twist cap and run the pig tail wire to the ground screw.
Old May 11, 2017   #162
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Henry! Those go by color code. What color would fit 4 runs of 14-2?

Ty
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #163
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I don't think there's a universal code. If you look at the package it will tell you what the caps fit.

BTW, the stacking issue is purely mechanical. So long as the ground wires don't fall off the screw they're electrically good. But I think the pigtail is considered best practice.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #164
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSalvage View Post
Thanks Henry! Those go by color code. What color would fit 4 runs of 14-2?

Ty
Red or yellow should do fine.
Worth
Old June 15, 2017   #165
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Somebodies PM box is full here is your answer.
It could be pulling just a wee bit more or the breaker could be weak just a little bit.
As a rule you are not supposed to run breakers or circuits at full or close to full capacity.