Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old January 22, 2011   #1
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Default Corn Meal Gluten Use For Weed Control

Has anyone used corn meal glutten to control weed seed from sprouting? Do you feel that it was effective?

I purchased some to use in the vegetable garden. This will be first time using it. It takes 2 to 3 months to decompose so plan to put it down after my vegetable seeds sprout. Then the question arises as to will it then be to late to use as a week suppressant? It also acts as a fertilizer.

husker nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #2
mohoghead
Tomatovillian™

I mainly used corn gluten, (cattle feed) for organic fertilizing, it's about 10% nitrogen, had a small problem with mushrooms growing off it in hot moist weather, but easy to rectify, haven't tried it as weed control(even though thats what it's advertize for, by a well known expensive company), it's suppose to kill germination but will not affect started plants. this year i will get an earlier start and work it into the garden between rows to see if it'll stop some.
mohoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #3
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker nana View Post
Has anyone used corn meal glutten to control weed seed from sprouting? Do you feel that it was effective?

I purchased some to use in the vegetable garden. This will be first time using it. It takes 2 to 3 months to decompose so plan to put it down after my vegetable seeds sprout. Then the question arises as to will it then be to late to use as a week suppressant? It also acts as a fertilizer.

I'm interested. Where is a good place to find/buy corn gluten?
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #4
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

I found my corn meal glutten at a good gardening center.
My bother used it on his lawn a couple of years ago. He didn't think of using it in their garden.

Alot of studies and articles about it but thought I would throw out question as it is better to hear real results then just articles and studies as those could be used just to sell a product.

It is used as a weed and feed. It stops seeds from sprouting but doesn't kill something that is established.

I believe I read that it wouldn't harm garlic as it is not a seed. Has to break down before planting real seed.

This is the product that I purchased.

Bradfield Organics®
Luscious Lawn Corn Gluten 9-0-0
Organic Fertilizer

Last edited by husker nana; January 23, 2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: adding info.
Old January 23, 2011   #5
mohoghead
Tomatovillian™

I buy mine at my local feed store, as i said it's cattle feed, about $6.00 a 50 lb. bag, just ask for corn gluten, it'll be pelletized so you can ask them to grind it for you, a good feed store will do it for free.
mohoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #6
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

I havd read several sources that say that Corn Gluten Meal (CGM ) is a natural pre-emergent and organic fertilizer and that you should make sure that you get that type for that purpose. Also read that it is different from Cornmeal which is a soil additive and disease fighter.

Since I did purchase the CGM I will use it but just may get the other to use on the rest of the property. See if I notice any differences. I think I paid $25 for the one bag of CGM. That bag will just be used in our garden area's.
Old January 23, 2011   #7
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

http://www.hort.iastate.edu/gluten/
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011   #8
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Interesting...

Quote:
If you want real corn gluten meal, be sure that you are buying from a licensed dealer or someone who is carrying product from a licensed dealer.
Quote:
U.S. Patent 5,030,268 on the use of corn gluten meal as a natural herbicide was issued in 1991. The patent was reissued in 1993 with broader claims that cover the use of corn gluten meal on field crops and home gardens. Two additional patents were also issued in 1993 on the technology...
Sooooo...

Basically...corn gluten isn't corn gluten, unless you buy it from a 'licensed' dealer and pay a premium, for what essentially is a waste by-product of making other corn products.

Corn Gluten Feed...well, yes it is corn gluten but it isn't ALL corn gluten...while Corn Gluten Meal is just corn gluten. Kind of like brown sugar and molasses. Brown sugar (especially dark) has quite a bit of molasses in it...but, *technically*, it isn't molasses.

What it works out to is the corn gluten feed would need to be applied at a higher rate than the straight corn gluten meal (which is also sold as a feed additive...but probably isn't easily available).
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2011   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Husker, how big of an area are we talking about? Ami
Old January 24, 2011   #10
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Ami, guessing around 35 ft. by 70 ft.
Old January 24, 2011   #11
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

A licensed dealer is the feed store dealer in the mid-west and the $6/50lb bag is not a premium price. The 5 lb bag for $10 at a garden center is what I consider a premium.

I worked for a wet corn milling company in Iowa that sold corn gluten by the railcar load or the semiload or pickupload. Those who worked around the corn milling area could take home the spillage by the 100 pound sacksfull for nothing. It was great soil organic material and fertilizer.

One caveat; wet gluten stinks to high heaven as it ferments. Some jokesters would take a cupful into another production area's control room, hide it and just wait for the look on the employees faces trying to figure out who stunk up the place. A bunch of gluten in the bottom of a rubber boot made the owners feet stink like crazy.
Old January 24, 2011   #12
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
A licensed dealer is the feed store dealer in the mid-west and the $6/50lb bag is not a premium price. The 5 lb bag for $10 at a garden center is what I consider a premium.
And that feed dealer is not likely 'licensed' to sell it as weed killer...but that $2/lb bag at the garden center is...

Last edited by mjc; January 25, 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old January 25, 2011   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

A company over here is using a method developed in austrailia for weed supression where they heat water with a small amount of Molasses added to boiling or near boiling and spray the solution on the weeds. They came up here to my site in a truck specially fitted with tanks,heaters and pumps and did the whole site. No reason you couldn't do it on a smaller scale for homes and gardens. Ami
Old January 25, 2011   #14
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Ami
I have been able to keep weeds under control until last year. It was out of control by the end of the growing season. As we were clearing out the garden area, you could just see the seed on the ground and falling as you cleared the rows.

It got out of control as we traveled out of State many many times due to family illnesses and passing on top of graduations and family reunions. Add mosquito over poulation and not wanting to fight them off. We just didn't tend to the weed seeds in a timely fashion like we should have.

I don't know how bad it will be but will try just about anything safe to nip it early in the season. Like I said...seen lots of seed on the ground. That's why I thought the corn gluten meal. If I wait for my vegetable seeds to sprout then I have to believe that my weed seeds will be sprouting too. If I still put it down will their be a possibility of it harming my newly rooted plants as they wouldn't have a good or deep root system going. I know it claims not to harm plants....but? Thought someone with experience using it could give thumbs up or down on product. I have very little experience with sprays of any sort. Till we moved to country, our garden was a postage stamp. Thanks for past and present info. I have list of products you have suggested and will be going to one of two very good garden centers tomorrow. They have a great organic selection.
Old January 25, 2011   #15
mjc
Tomatovillian™

It works by inhibiting root formation of the germinating seed. So if a plant already has roots, the CGM acts as a fertilizer, not a herbicide.