Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 4, 2009   #1
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Seeded vs. White Seeded Blue Lake Pole Beans

I've grown the white seeded blue lake pole beans for years. Has anybody grown the black seeded variety?

I bought a packet this year and the advertising blurb sounds scrumptious. Of course I'll be growing regular blue lake pole beans - just in case and also a few other bush beans like Koala and Black Valentine.
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2009   #2
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Darn, looks like nobody's grown both of these. I guess it's up me to grow both this summer and report back with the details. I hope the black seeded blue lakes are as good as their rep.

Yvonne
Old February 9, 2009   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi Yvonne,

DARK AND LIGHT-SEEDED BEANS: Dark-seeded beans are more resistant to rotting in cool soil than light- seeded beans. Beans need a minimum soil temperature of 65oF (18oC) to germinate well, otherwise rotting may occur.

Is this info you can use?

~* Robin
Old February 9, 2009   #4
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

wish i could help but ive only grown blue lake bush beans..I grew them last year but didnt really like the taste at all are the pole BL any differtnt in taste. I know its a personal taste thing but im an ole southern boy raised on kentucky wonders, Mccaslins and rattlesnake the blue lakes didnt do it for me..I have seeds for blue lake pole and debated on planting them this year...but i just dont know.. Gene
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2009   #5
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Robin, I didn't realize that black seeded beans could stand a little cooler soil. Have you ever tasted black seeded Blue Lakes?

Gene, yes, it's definitely what you're used to. I used to live within bicycling distance of Blue Lake and grew up on these beans. So Kentucky Wonder tastes off to me and I've never tried Mccaslins or Rattlesnack pole beans. I do love Fortex and Romano poles though. When I get some more land, I plan to trial a whole lot of beans and see which ones tickle my taste buds. Tastes change and I bet I'd like Kentucy Wonder now.

Yvonne

Last edited by roamwhereiwant2; February 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old February 9, 2009   #6
hill60
Tomatovillian™

We've grown both and I really can't say there is much difference between them. For us they both manage cooler temps, taste good, and produce well.

We haven't grown them both in the same season to compare them. Maybe there is a more noticeable difference if they were side by side.

Hill60
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2009   #7
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamwhereiwant2 View Post
Thanks Robin, I didn't realize that black seeded beans could stand a little cooler soil. Have you ever tasted black seeded Blue Lakes?

Yvonne
No I can't say that I ever did taste the black seeded Blue Lakes, Yvonne; as I've only grown the white seeded bush types. This year I will be adding more to my grow list. Royal Purple, just for the grand kids, and Dragons' Tongue as I only have 9 seeds of each. I just want to sample them for now as I'm very stuck on the Blue Lake Bush 274, French Filet, Romano Bush and "Yard Long" Brown Seeded (Dow Gauk.) Lima Bean "Henderson Bush" follows them. With loads of different peas.

~* Robin