Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 2, 2008   #16
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Bubba, Good luck growing it out. I hope you have more luck than me. My plant never recovered. New leaves started out o.k. but after a couple of days they acted like the rest of the plant. (like your picture).

Keep us updated with pics. I know I'm curious.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2008   #17
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Will do, Greg!

It would be so easy to yank them out, but then I'd never learn anything.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2008   #18
Brightmeadow
Tomatovillian™

Hi:

Just a note about Roundup. It is not as innocuous as farmers and gardeners have been lead to believe. Years ago I read an article that explained the problems fully but I no longer have access to it. It does remain viable in the soil longer than advertised. Here is a quote from an on-line article:
"The fact that glyphosate is a systemic herbicide and persists in the
environment for a relatively long period of time (as long as 3 years in soil) makes it likely to enter the body through residues (contamination) in food
and water. Residues are unlikely to be removed from plant tissues and use of glyphosate in animal feed can result in residues in animal food products such as meat, milk and eggs. Residues are stable to up to one year in plant materials and water and up to two years in animal products in storage."

So, I am in agreement that the tomato problem shown here is likely caused by residue from the Roundup applied some months previously.
Brightmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2008   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I accidentally rounded up a grape tomato once, the thing lived it had no leaves to speak of and it put out 100's of small tomatoes on a small plant and then died.

Strangest thing I ever saw.

Looking forward to an update on the surviver.

Bubba Cain, you said something like, "tomatoes from someone that knows what they are doing".

I have to tell you, I don't know how I do it, it just happens.

I have found homes for all of my extras whether they like it or not.

One guy at the Dr's office told my wife he and a cancer patient would like some so I just stopped by today and handed over 32 very big plants.

They were shocked at the size and how many there were.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2008   #20
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

One of the things about mine was it was in a pot. Surrounded by alot of other pots, in a flower garden where no Round-Up had been sprayed. Hmmmm....

Using Round-Up often than most, I can't see it being EFFECTIVE for two years. Areas that I have sprayed sometimes produce weeds/grass a few months later.

I'll look to see if I still have pictures.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2008   #21
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Bubba, good luck with the plants and let us know how it turns out so we can all learn from your experience. I know all too well that in our area you have a short window of time to get the plants to a critical mass and blooming/setting fruit before the heat kicks in.

Quote:
I honestly do not think it's a virus or any other pathogen because I use bio-innoculant products extensively.
While I don't disagree that some of the products you've listed can help make for stronger, healthier plants that can better resist what is thrown at them, they are not going to completely prevent the possibility of contamination from a virus.

So, I would not rule a virus out as a possibility.

Re Roundup -- what you had used several months ago would not have caused that damage. Also, what I am seeing does not look like does not look like it anyway. Glycophosphate damage is usually fairly easy to spot in that it tends to cause the lower part of the leaf next to the stem to be rather pale -- light yellow or almost white. Especially on newer growth. The leaves may or may not curl, but even if they do, it is usually not nearly to the extent shown in your pics.

However, drift/contamination from a number of other herbicides can sometimes cause that sort of leaf and stem curl as others have pointed out.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2008   #22
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Everyone for your support!!

I gave these plants a few days. I watched the new growth to see if they would pull out of it. It didn't happen. I didn't have the nerves for it anymore, so I replaced them. I know it's late, but used varieties that do well for me in late season. (Ch. Purple, Super Fantastic, AR Trav, etc.)
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote