Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 12, 2019   #1
BennB
Tomatovillian™

Default Experience with Masterblend and EC fluctuations?

Sorry for the long post, mostly background info...question in the last paragraph.

I am looking for advice from the collective wisdom of those here who grow hydroponically. I have been growing tomatoes in the greenhouse hydroponically using the same ebb and flow system for about 5 years.

I have primarily used liquid nutrient products from General Hydroponics. This year I started my plants using the general hydroponics solution, but just this week I decided to switch to mixing my own using Masterblend 4-18-38, calcium nitrate, and epsom salts because it is a lot cheaper. I have a science degree and am relatively proficient with mixing solutions so I mixed up a batch per the instructions and adjusted the water in my reservoir for an EC value of 2.8 mS/cm, which is the same concentration I had been using with the General Hydroponics-based solution.

This was last night at about 9:00 PM. My pH meter died last week so I was doing the mixing a bit blind, but our water supply is generally good and has been a relatively consistent 6.5 for as long as I have been testing it. Typically after mixing the solution it goes to about 6.8 and it bounces around a bit based on reservoir level and how actively the plants are growing but I have not really ever had observed big changes over short periods.

The ebb and flow system went through a couple cycles over night. I went out and tested the water again this morning and the EC was up at 4.5! I am assuming something is up with the pH, but as said my pH meter died last week so I can't be sure. I have a new meter on order, but here is my problem: I am heading out for two weeks of vacation on Friday and it won't come before then. I did some research and the masterblend-based mix is supposed to be more stable in terms of pH, not less. I have somebody watching the set up while I am gone, but they are not a person who is going to be trouble shooting salinity/pH issues. I take the same trip every year and the same time, but now I am concerned.

For those folks who have used the masterblend based nutrient solution, is this kind of overnight change in solution EC normal? Can I expect things to stabilize or am I looking at the need to be constantly checking and adjusting things? It was not exactly set it and forget it with the General Hydroponics-based nutrients, but I could generally go week to week without doing more than keeping the reservoir level filled and doing a once a week check and adjustment to concentration and pH. I am trying to decide if I need to ditch the 50 gallons I just mixed up and head to the store for more General Hydroponics for piece of mind before I head out on vacation. Any thoughts?

Much thanks!
BennB is offline   Reply With Quote