Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old August 16, 2014   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I feel a little embarrassed to ask this, but at the WinterSown site, what do they mean by, "Default"? On the seed selection page and order for it mentions this. I did figure out how to donate $5 - so I just simply fill out ten choices?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2014   #17
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I feel a little embarrassed to ask this, but at the WinterSown site, what do they mean by, "Default"? On the seed selection page and order for it mentions this. I did figure out how to donate $5 - so I just simply fill out ten choices?
My understanding is that the "default" selections are like alternate choices if you are just sending a SASE for free seeds (and not sending a donation). You choose your top 6 choices and 4 "default" choices (or alternates) in case your first choices aren't able to be filled. If you are sending a $5 donation, then all your top 6 choices are guaranteed and you'll also get the 4 defaults.

Hope that helps-

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2014   #18
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Kath, your info is spot on!

I was just doing some Q&A and came across this thread. I ask folks to suggest some defaults when they select their six. The default list gives me some flexibility for filling requests. I hardly ever run out of my bulks but the stock I grow myself or that is donated from developers and/or home growers can be limited to a just few dozen packs--some of it is very popular! While it's August individual seed requests are slowish and I'm unlikely to rapidly run out of any variety, but from February to April I work non-stop filling requests and towards end of April that's when someone may have more than just one or two defaults in their envelope. I don't like making substitutions as I don't like disappointing people but it's sometimes unavoidable and I hope people will understand and enjoy growing their defaults as much as their first choices. When I can, in all the tomato SASEs, I include an extra pack of seeds because what's a hug without a squeeze.

Currently, I have about 130 selections but in a few more weeks after some intense seed saving I'll have about a 150 choices. Obviously, the early-bird catches the worm. Sending a request in late Autumn or early Winter is going to likely return a SASE full of all your first choices. If ever anyone has any questions or needs some extra help you can either call me or email me, the contact info is available at WinterSown. I also have a Winter Sowers Group at FB--I can be PMed there or make a post and I'll answer as best I can.

Trudi

Last edited by Trudi; August 17, 2014 at 08:32 PM.
Trudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2014   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Kath, as the post above this one says: "You were spot on" Thanks again.

Trudi, Tomatoville, amazes me because of the members here. The members make this place very special.

I know I should probably wait to see what the 150 choices are, but I'm in the process of looking up every tomato seed choice you guys are offering online in pics, video, and other. I've made it through to the the J's, and so far I have picked 16...out of 10 choices to order with my $5 donation.

Great WinterSown site Trudi. Thank you for your reply.
Old August 18, 2014   #20
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

ALS,
I grew Mountain Gold last year. It was productive and stood up to heat, drought and spider mites quite well. Unfortunately, I didn't think it was very tasty. Maybe it would be better in a salsa or sauce.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2014   #21
kath
Tomatovillian™

You're most welcome, AlittleSalt- have fun shopping!

kath

P.S. Someone's probably already mentioned this, but Tania's website is a great place to check out info and pictures of the possibilities to help you narrow down the list: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...o_Variety_List

Last edited by kath; August 18, 2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old August 19, 2014   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
You're most welcome, AlittleSalt- have fun shopping!

kath

P.S. Someone's probably already mentioned this, but Tania's website is a great place to check out info and pictures of the possibilities to help you narrow down the list: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...o_Variety_List
I have been saving Tania's site to look at , but that link - I had to peek at it, and yes, it looks incredible. I've already started thinking about where I can plant tomato varieties outside my garden and how to keep deer and rabbits/hares away from the plants. It means amending soil... yesterday and getting everything ready to grow tons of tomato varieties, and then there will be the seed exchanges here too later this fall. I'm trying to grow 8 heirloom varieties to possibly offer in trades. I have put off looking at that section of Tomatoville as well. I've got a lot to learn.

I'm the kind of person who has learned that I need to finish what I am doing and then check out and do the next thing in line. Otherwise, I leave things unfinished.
My grandfather once told me to never do things half... err...clean that up.., ah, "Halfway". He was right.

At the WinterSown site, I've chosen varieties I want to get there, but after thinking and researching, I've chosen more cherry type seeds because everyone I grow tomatoes for love cherry tomatoes. I chose one just to make my 2 and 5 year old grandchildren laugh and hopefully they get an interest in gardening even more. The variety is: "Banana Legs". A Funny name. I hope it tastes good, but even if it does not and the grandchildren find it interesting and funny to say - I'll keep growing it. I also chose a couple different ones to experiment with as well as a couple that grow well in our climate of high heat and humidity.

This revised list is what I am going to order this week:

WinterSown Wish List:

1. Arkansas Traveler ~ Delicious pink tomatoes, about 8 ounces each, good cropper for hot and humid climates, IND, about 80 DTM

2. Banana Legs ~ Two to three-inch long yellow pastes, fine for salad or sauce, this mega-cropper is great for home gardens, DET, about 75 DTM

3. Black Blend ~ Delicious assortment of brick-brown fruits, many sizes for salad, slice, sauce and snacking out of hand, some quite prolific, IND, about 65 - 80 DTM

4. Golden Jubilee ~ Delicious orange globes weighing up to a half-pound, reliable and pretty all-purpose heirloom, IND, 72+ DTM

5. Money Maker ~ Loads of tasty red fruits, most about four ounces, does quite well in hot and humid regions, IND, 75+ DTM

6. Riesenstraube ~ German name means 'giant bunch of grapes', this red cherry tomato has pointed ends, very yum, IND, 75+ DTM

7. Siberian ~ Extra-early Russian variety produces 2" - 3" red fruits on small plants, nice for fast tomatoes, DET, 57+ DTM

8. Sun Gold F1 ~ Suberb hybrid makes loads of sweet and fruity golden-orange cheriies, IND, 58+ DTM (We ask your understanding that we can only share this marvelous hybrid with SASEs that include a minimum 5.00 donation.) - JC

9. Texas Wild Cherry ~ Large plants are loaded with small red cherry tomatoes, yummy and sweet with a touch of tang, IND, 70+ DTM

10. The 'Blend' ~ WinterSown's own fun and fascinating mix of assorted sizes, shapes and colors--there is something for everyone! Plenty of seeds, DET to IND, no dwarf-types, ranging from 65 to 80 DTM

Last edited by AlittleSalt; August 19, 2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old August 19, 2014   #23
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a great assortment and getting the blends increases the number of varieties to a LOT more than 10!