Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 7, 2006   #16
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

I checked the thread at Idig called "Oxygen Boost" and realized that Suze was the expert who responded with some great information on this. You can look there or ask Suze directly

LoreD.
Old August 7, 2006   #17
tylenol
Tomatovillian™

Kenya,
How's the worm population in your tomato beds ?
Like how many per shovel load .
Rob
tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2006   #18
Kenyadenola
Tomatovillian™

I have a pretty great worm load. My soil overall is pretty good, it's just the fact that it's clay and has a pH of 7.5. i usually see bunches of worms of per shovel load, and it's easier to find them now that my soil is mulched, they are not diving for the depths anymore.

I had been thinking about the oxygen thiing, but wanted to tackle one problem at a time, and now it is the time. I'm going to take a look at that thread.
Kenyadenola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2006   #19
Kenyadenola
Tomatovillian™

I can't seem to find Idig, is it www.idig.org.au? If so, the search function isn't working. I would really like to read the thread, can you supply a link?

Thanks!
Kenya
Kenyadenola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2006   #20
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I think the forum they are talking about is:

http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/
sirtanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2006   #21
Suze
Tomatovillian™

K, I PMed you the link Lore is talking about.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2006   #22
Denise_in_MI
Tomatovillian™

Lore, that is fascinating. Never thought about using H2O2! Based on geographical location in my 5B/6A range, I'll bet your clay soil is similar to mine.

I add a small bit of garden gypsum in the fall and again in the spring. If you add too much - you get soup. I've never tried it mid-season, worried about adding too much. Works great on urine burn on your lawn from your animals.

PS I haven't watered my tom's AT ALL since I planted them in late May - except the one time I added a little blue stuff (my 5B/6A location only). Sorry to hijack this thread.
Old August 7, 2006   #23
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Hi Denise,

My clay soil is so dense that I think I could make pottery out of it. When I first dug holes and put topsoil in, the holes became waterwells and drowned the roots. I actually would water the plants with the superoxygenated water after they had been flooded with water in order to get oxygen to the roots.

This method has been used to save plants after floods. The great part of this method is that it works great during a drought (I had great results last year during the worst drought in 130 years), and it works just as well after a flood.

After you water your plants with oxygenated water you will notice an almost immediate change in the plant. If you have a scrawny plant, water with the oxygenated water and you will very quickly have lush foliage and the plant will become very productive.

You don't have do regular watering with this method, just every once in a while or to give an ailing plant some extra help.

LoreD