Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 23, 2006   #16
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Mischka... I looked for the Burracker's Favorite story on heirloomtomatoes but discovered it wasn't there. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't want to bother 'C' with another question about it but am glad to have this archive reference.
Old February 23, 2006   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about that Larry, but for lots of reasons I just don't go to Chuck's old site anymore.

The story is in the SSE Yearbooks as well, so won't be lost.
Old February 23, 2006   #18
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Here is the story of Burracker's Favorite; as told by Chuck Wyatt on his website:

As recently as ten years ago the only heirloom varieties available were in private collections. I hunted high and low for varieties. Swapping became very prevalent during that period and I fear there are a number of cross labeled varieties floating around as a result of trades between novice growers. Let me relate the story of my acquisition of the variety Burrackers’ Favorite.

I am a descendant of Meriweather Lewis of Lewis and Clark. General Samuel Hance Lewis settled where Madison Run meets the Shenandoah River in the Shenandoah Valley, once the breadbasket of the Confederacy. This area took the brunt of Union efforts to burn the valley which were largely successful, While the valley itself was largely burned out, a number of market farmers eked out an existence in the Nearby Blue Ridge and Great Smokey Mountains. Many settlements were completely bulldozed to make room for what is Now Shenandoah National Park.

Zeda Lam was a fifteen year old mother of two when she and her husband were forced off their homestead near Swift Run Gap. I still have two of Zeda’s tomato varieties but this is ‘nother tale ‘bout ‘nother ‘mater. I had heard of a tomato, a bicolor, possibly named “Shenandoah.” Being grown in the vicinity of Brown’s Gap in the Blue Ridge. Zeda was then living in Swift Run Gap, just a little piece from Brown’s Gap. Zeda promised that if would take the double log bridge that crossed the creek just a short piece above her Spring house on Madison Run and continue on the two lane dirt road (ne cowpath) to the second ridge crest and then down into the next Hollow I would eventually come upon Burracker Cabin at the beginning of the following upslope.

After following Zeds’s directions I found myself approaching a tanbark roofed log cabin that had been expanded several tines and now seemed to have quite a number of rooms although there was no evidence of its ever having been painted. The yard was swept but bare clay. An uncovered porch with its front door ajar were right in front of my pickup and I was about to open the door when a mangey looking bear hound appeared from under the shed. He stretched and yawned before smelling in my direction and letting out a whoop! Immediately he was answered from behind the house, under the barn, on top of the outhouse, under the corn crib and gawd knows where else! Dogs came from everywhere and seemed determined to devour my pickup! There were at least two dozen BIG raw boned hounds of all mixed breeds. This was obviously the Burrackers bear pack and they seemed bent on my destruction. The truck was fairy new and its paintjob was taking a beating as well as the body work. I was like the hub of a wheel with spokes everywhere. This pack was well blooded and most members showed scars from fights as well as ears stripped to ribbons.

After what seemed like an eon a grey haired, barefooted woman in a feed sack dress appeared with a shot gun in her hands. She shot over the melee and yelled “Shet Up” whereupon something resembling silence reigned for a precious few seconds. “What’r ye Doi’n here?” The woman (obviously Mrs. Burracker) demanded.

I felt I should do more explaining FAST so I continued with "Zeda Lam sent me up here looking for some big yellow tomatoes with red patches on them. She says you raise them."

Mrs Burracker sent one of the "passel" of youngsters for a 'mater which was handed through a crack in the window I got my 'mater and left IN A HURRY!

Burrackers Favorite is now a part of my offerings. I can't be sure it is really the legendary "Shenandoah". So much of the old South is Gone With The Wind so please help to preserve this outstanding relic.

Charles Atwood "Chuck" Wyatt
1936-2002

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #19
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

M,

That's the kind of stuff she's looking for, and we love reading it, too! Treking through the mountains, dealing with a pack of hounds, a passle of chirren, a shotgun being fired over head, and all that just to get a new tomato. Priceless!

MORE!!!

D
Old February 23, 2006   #20
jermen
Tomatovillian™

i love this thread...

these kind of things really stick with kids...my son can rattle off names of tomatoes better than i can!
thank you mischka for the story.
and thank you gwenderski for this thread.

------
great...
now I want burrackers favorite..lol...this is a never ending obsession.

jeri
jermen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #21
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting the story, Mischka!!!
Mighty int'resting....
Know anymore???
Old February 24, 2006   #22
Torquill
Tomatovillian™

I suppose you could always relate the story of Snowy Fox Turkey.

--Alison
who thought she had a copy of that thread around here, and can't find it. Did anyone save that silly midwinter ramble between Carolyn and Earl?