Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 2, 2006   #1
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default First baby tomatoes in PNW

I've got my first baby tomatoes on Floragold Basker and Tumbler F1 - these were planted on Jan 2, and they have been growing under fluo lights (no overdrive :wink: ) since Jan 8/9... 44 and 46 days from germination to flower.

Floragold Basket

Tumbler F1

I also grow about 8 Tumbler F2 and 8 TUmbler F3, and only one of the F2s is blooming; no fruit set yet. Interestingly enough, I got quite a segregation within F2 generation: one shows trailing habit, the rest are upright, one has much darker leaves than the rest, the flower clusters are also different. Interestingly, they all germinated at the same time, and both F1 plants have baby fruit, one F2 blooming, and the rest are not...

Tumbler F2

Now I can call it a beginning of the tomato season! another month and I might get a ripe tomato!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Tania,

Nice pictures - great background colour. Looks like you have an "old gold" blossom

I understand F2 is where you will find the most segretation in grow outs. Interesting thing about Tumbler, at least around these parts, is the variety of plants being sold as "Tumbler". Two years ago I did have the tumbling one, and last year my plant didn't tumble at all. Too bad I lost all my pics, but plant was only about 6 inches tall and about a foot wide, just covered in tomatoes. I did keep seed, but just so many to choose from
Old March 3, 2006   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Nice baby!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #4
bully
Tomatovillian™

very nice detail on those close ups
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Thank you guys!

D., now, it is just the background color that makes it look like it - no 'old gold' thing on this baby...
I agree, there is quite a segregation in Tumblers F2, and the closest two to F1 in terms of opening the first blossom are 2 and 9 days behind, and the rest 6 are not even close to blooming. Which means I will be saving the seeds from the earliest F2, as well as from the sweetest one. The closest two in F3 generation are 4 and 5 days behind...

I think I finally got a 'controlled' de-hyb experiment going - almost all sprouted on the same day, with exception of 1, all grow under lights at 19C and get the same treatment... Now I can choose the one I can continue working with. My original goal was to get these very sweet tumblers like the ones I got from Jan's seeds (Tumbler F3)

I'll keep you posted

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote