Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 18, 2011   #1
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing potatoes from cuttings

Second batch of skagit valley gold direct stick cuttings in Fafard B3 mix soilless media. They were taken about two weeks ago. Stock tray is on the right. They are under a regular T12 two bulb shop light on the shelf down near the floor. Thirty one out of 32 cuttings have taken. I put a piece of paper over the ones toward the middle and gave them occasional misting early on to minimize wilting. Soil temp ranges between 63-66F, a bit cold, but the air is dry, so that is probably best for my situation. Some of the cuttings were a bit long so I removed a set or two of leaves. Half were dipped in Rootone (0.2% napthalenacetamide + Thiram) powder, the other half in Schutlz Takeroot (0.1% indole-3-butyric acid) For potatoes the below instructions said take as much stem as possible below the node for the cutting, last time I only took ~1/4".These were great links from Emanuele and I owe my success to following instuctions this time.
I think it was time for a new thread.
More is mentioned in previous postings regarding growing from cuttings here:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=14199&page=5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVGcuttingsround2.jpg (138.9 KB, 67 views)
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote