Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 14, 2014   #91
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

Very cool update as always. I think I find the micro blues the most interesting. Although any taste improvement with the micros is even better.

Having limited micro experience I have a few questions for all those doing micro crosses if you don't mind. Having worked with them and knowing what you know now. Is there a specific micro variety or varieties you prefer or recommend over others for crossing? What size pot and/or spacing would you suggest for maximum efficiency? at what point is soil or space wasted?

Thank you for any help answering those. If you have any other tips for growing and breeding micros that may be different than with a larger plant it would be appreciated.

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2014   #92
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

JayC,

That variegated phenotype looks a bit like that of the the marm allele that I saw in nsl187099. What was your variegation source? I've got an accession that carries the alb allele in the Ailsa Craig background which will be my variegation donor.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2014   #93
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

No, just night time lighting. Reds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayc View Post
Wow, amazingly compact growth and love the colour coordination too. Are they pinks?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old April 16, 2014   #94
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Parents are supposed to be the variety Variegated x Yellow Furry Hog (PL) but it does seem a little adrift. Perhaps it will get a growth spurt and stretch out! It's possible I've labelled some seeds incorrectly and it does look similar to marm, might be able to tell more when it flowers and fruits. I've a few crosses of NSL187099 but they do look different to that one. These are a couple of NSL x Micro Blue F2's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (60.9 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (59.9 KB, 264 views)
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #95
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
No, just night time lighting. Reds.
Red is good

Quote:
I've got an accession that carries the alb allele in the Ailsa Craig background which will be my variegation donor
Excellent, I look forward to your progress. Do you know if there is somewhere with seeds available I could access some from the UK? I'd really love to use it in some breeding.
Old April 16, 2014   #96
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I will be happy to send you some later this season!

Quote:
Red is good

Excellent, I look forward to your progress. Do you know if there is somewhere with seeds available I could access some from the UK? I'd really love to use it in some breeding.

Old April 17, 2014   #97
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow, thank you, I'm all excited now!
Old April 20, 2014   #98
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Some new dwarfs. F3. Sungold in the pedigree. The pictured fruit had pretty good flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rrsu2.jpg (571.5 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg rrsu1.jpg (226.7 KB, 244 views)

Old April 20, 2014   #99
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

They look smashing plants Glad you have the taste too. What height are these at the moment?
Old April 20, 2014   #100
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

They are about a foot tall. They are also indeterminates so I expect them to get several feet tall. No micros from this cross yet.

Quote:
They look smashing plants Glad you have the taste too. What height are these at the moment?

Old April 20, 2014   #101
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Most of the mini-micro types I've found so far have been at F3 or F4. Although one of my faves for taste is around the 12-18".
Old April 20, 2014   #102
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Another one. Chocolate Cherry in the pedigree. Cute little nippled fruit. Sweet flavor. Also not a micro but is a small dwarf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nippled.jpg (135.3 KB, 239 views)

Old April 20, 2014   #103
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Wow everything looks great guys! So I have several f1's going right now that havninthe set fruit already. Most of them bagged too. I'm also growing 5 or 6 f2's kosovo x tiny tim. 3 or 4 of them are very stalky and compact. No fruit on those yet pictures to follow.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014   #104
rjs55555
Tomatovillian™

Please keep me in mind if any seeds become available. I will hopefully be crossing Red Robin x Isis candy, Red Robin x Black Cherry and maybe a few others if I am successful. I love the smaller dwarfs and want to try a few more varieties.

I also planted a peach tomato variety which might be interesting as well.

Thanks for the posts! This is a great project!
rjs55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #105
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

An F3 selection. Beautiful little indeterminate plant with finely cut foliage. Sungold in the pedigree giving that distinctive foliage fragrance. Orange fruit, good flavor and doesn't split!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3-11.jpg (128.7 KB, 214 views)