Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old November 28, 2012   #16
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentiger87 View Post
Interesting. I definitely didn't get the same results with Actinovate. It seems to work splendidly for soil borne diseases, but for foliar disease on tomatoes, it just delays it. It's not sufficient unless I alternate it with daconil/mancozeb to act as a protectant. It may just be different disease pressure down here.
I would guess you have more disease pressure in your area. The climate in Cincinnati is very similar to St. Louis. We get a fair amount of humidity (along with 90 degree temps.) in July, August and early September, but I would imagine your humidity is similar to Florida.

When I sprayed my pepper and tomato plants, I basically sprayed until the water was running off of the plants. Based on the Natural Industries website, the more Actinovate a person applies, the better. If cost isn't a major concern, you could possibly try using a heavier dose per gallon of water (for example a 1/2 tsp. as opposed to 1/4 tsp.). I'm not saying this will necessarily work in your area, but the Natural Industries website would seem to suggest your chances of success would improve with a heavier dosage, and it might be worth while to do a small trial with a more concentrated spray to see if it has any impact or not.

The one thing that really stood out to me was how Actinovate seems to stimulate plant growth (I guess by improving the plants ability to intake nutrients from the soil). In my previous post I mentioned my pepper plants.

For my tomato plants, I typically prune all of the leaves off up to the lowest set of fruit. Therefore, at the end of the season, the bottom 5 - 6 ft. of my plant will just be the main stems. When I sprayed with Actinovate, I noticed a lot of plant regrowth on this bottom 5 - 6 ft. (similar to my sweet pepper plants). In particular, my Sarnowski Polish Plum plant not only re-grew, but also set a large number of tomatoes. As a first time user of Actinovate, I was probably more impressed with this aspect of the product than its ability to minimize diseases.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2012   #17
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Mark, there is a lot of scientific evidence that supports your experience that Actinovate stimulates plant growth. Although not all Actinobacteria produce the same antifungal and antibacterial metabolites that Streptomyces lydicus WYEC 108 does, it seems they may all produce the plant growth promoting metabolites indole-3-acetic acid, ACC deaminase and also siderophores which are iron chelating compounds that can be taken up in plant roots.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #18
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I found Actinovate locally last Friday at a hydroponics store. Finally had a chance to mix up a small amount of it today and sprayed it on all the foliage of my plants.

I happened to notice that Ray N. said he couldnt find it locally. That was three years ago, but Ray, if you happen to read this, I see there is a hydroponics store with several locations in the Bay Area, most of them north of you, but HydroDepot.com shows they are $16 for the 2 oz size, and if you can save the shipping, it's better than the $30 you mentioned a while back.

I'm uncertain about how to do a soil drench on plants that have been planted out. Just soak the ground around the stem, or does it have to be applied directly to the root when planted?
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012   #19
RayR
Tomatovillian™

You'll be fine with the soil drench, those little microscopic spores will filter down to the root zone through any reasonably loose soil.

I've bought Actinovate from the hydrotoyou store on EBAY, they sell the 2oz packet for $16.49 or 2 for $29.99 - free shipping. Fresh product too.
Old December 26, 2012   #20
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Great, any idea how much to apply per plant, approximately?
Old December 27, 2012   #21
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Great, any idea how much to apply per plant, approximately?
If the soil is dry, water first and then pour some Actinovate mix around the base of the plant. There''s no approximate amount that you should or shouldn't apply, just wing it. You don't need a lot since what you are applying is a living organism and they will divide and multiply into colonies and even make more spores to start new colonies. You can always add more a few weeks later for reinforcement, a good idea especially if you are dealing with certain root pathogens.
2 grams per gallon of water (or 1/2 teaspoon) is the recommended rate for the Actinovate solution, both for soil application and foliar spray.
Old December 27, 2012   #22
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

If you are going to do a soil drench with Actinovate the addition of MycoGrow soluable and Biota Max can add to the effectiveness with additional fungi and bacteria and to overall plant health. The ideal regimen would to apply as a root dip during plant out.

Phosphorous Acid has been shown to be effective against bacterial wilt and spot and can be applied with Actinovate as a foliar. Exel LG is one such product along with Agri Fos. Ami
Old December 27, 2012   #23
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

thanks! Ami, I will have to look for those other products.

Ray, thanks also. I mixed up only a small amount, same proportion but 1/4 tsp to a mere 2 quarts water, because I didn't have a big sealable container and wanted to use as a foliar spray. I have done a little pour of maybe 1/3 cup over each root in the raised bed and a few other newly planted plants. I figured I could always mix up more tomorrow.
Old December 28, 2012   #24
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

By the way, it is Act-i-NO-vate, isn't it? Stress on the third syllable? I asked the guy in the shop where I bought it and he wasn't certain either. I thought Ac-TIN-o-vate sounded, well, tinny.
Old December 28, 2012   #25
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
By the way, it is Act-i-NO-vate, isn't it? Stress on the third syllable? I asked the guy in the shop where I bought it and he wasn't certain either. I thought Ac-TIN-o-vate sounded, well, tinny.
Ac-TIN-o-vate is the correct pronunciation as in actinomycetes
Old December 29, 2012   #26
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Huh. Wrong again! Well, I'll be sure to say it correctly, if it comes up in conversation. Thanks!
Old February 25, 2013   #27
lgharrison
Tomatovillian™

I have bacterial wilt in my soil, where do you find the chemicals and how do you use them, in the soil or as a plant spray, quite new a raising tomatoes, Larry
lgharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #28
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgharrison View Post
I have bacterial wilt in my soil, where do you find the chemicals and how do you use them, in the soil or as a plant spray, quite new a raising tomatoes, Larry
There is no effective chemical control for bacterial wilt. Actinovate is a biological control of Verticillium, Fusarium, and Late Blight. Although not 100% effective, it helps against these, but as far as I know, it hasn't been shown to be effective at all against bacterial wilt.

Some people claim various manure teas are helpful against bacterial wilt, but as far as I know, none are confirmed.

The only real solution is make your soil as healthy as possible, and rotate crops religiously (at least 3 years without any tomatoes or solenaceous crops), always disposing of tomato vines either by burning, or "hot" composting. Either that or containers.

Someone else around here might know of a solution, but I never heard of one.

PS I heard somewhere that "Neptune" and "Tropic Boy" are somewhat resistant. There may be a few others, not sure.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #29
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Redbaron is right that Actinovate has not been shown to be effective against bacterial wilt. It's more antagonistic against fungal pathogens.
The most effective biological control at combating bacterial wilt that has been studied is Pseudomonas fluorescens. P fluorescens is included in some Myco/bacterial inoculants like Great White and the Alpha Bio Thrive products.
Old February 27, 2013   #30
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here are some suggestions by the University of Florida that provide some level of control of Bacterial Wilt (Ralstonia solanacearum).

Grow Host resistance varieties.

Graft seedling onto resistance root stock.

Application of Phosphorous Acid (Exel LG or Agri-Fos) also as a foliar.

Soil Solarization

And as RayR said use "Myco/bacterial inoculants" on plant out.

For anybody that has soil disease problems I would highly recommend growing you plants in containers whether it be the open type or SWC's (Self Watering Containers).

Ami