Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 24, 2011   #16
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your input...guess I will be giving the product a try!
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011   #17
strax
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you mentioned the animals and the fish emulsion. I should watch out for that too, although i dont have the awesome wilderness that you do Mischka. I'm with granite, i think ill give it a try. txs
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011   #18
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Here's another reason why I highly recommend unfortified (no NPK added) seaweed-derived fertilizers for use in starting from seed.

The truth is, tomato seedlings don't need any fertilizer at all while they only have their cotyledons. (embryonic first two leaves) Despite this fact, I can't count how many times over the years when I've read about folks starting tomato plants from seed for the first time being tempted to fertilize them at this stage of growth.

What happens all too often is that they use Miracle-Gro or other similar concentrated NPK fertilizer and end up burning their seedlings to a crispy death, even when they diluted it down to 25% of the normal mix ratio.

My advice: Resist the temptation and don't do it. Ever.

Wait for your seedlings to develop their first true leaves. They will sprout up from the center of the two cotyledons and differ in appearance from them. At this stage of growth they are still tender i.e. vulnerable to overdoses of fertilizer, so apply it very sparingly.

Seaweed-derived fertilizers are much safer to apply at this point, since they have a low NPK rating to begin with, when mixed at the manufacturer-recommended ratio. A caveat: exceeding the mix ratio of any fertilizer with water will not speed up growth or do anything otherwise beneficial for them. It's much more likely that you will, in fact, stunt their growth or kill them outright.

I cannot stress this enough.

There are few things more discouraging than finally starting your own seedlings successfully, only to watch them wither and dry up from an overdose of fertilizer.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011   #19
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Well said Mischka. I think the fact that most people miss is that a seed is a self contained package composed of mostly plant food with just a little bit of DNA. Force feeding the little guys with an unnatural amount of fertilizer will lead either to an unnatural death or put them in a weakened state that will make them more vulnerable to pathogens and pests later on.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #20
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Well said Mischka. I think the fact that most people miss is that a seed is a self contained package composed of mostly plant food with just a little bit of DNA. Force feeding the little guys with an unnatural amount of fertilizer will lead either to an unnatural death or put them in a weakened state that will make them more vulnerable to pathogens and pests later on.
One thing I will add to this discussion is too much N for small seedlings can increase the chances of damping off.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #21
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Came upon this thread last week. I was just thinking about ordering
a gallon of Neptune's again. Decided to try Saltwater Farms Seaweed/
Fish Fertilizer instead. I used a diluted amount for my seedlings. My plants
are loving it. So far, so good.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #22
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Came upon this thread last week. I was just thinking about ordering
a gallon of Neptune's again. Decided to try Saltwater Farms Seaweed/
Fish Fertilizer instead. I used a diluted amount for my seedlings. My plants
are loving it. So far, so good.
I'm pleased to hear that you're having good results with it.

After you set them out in your garden, I'd recommend a weekly foliar feeding spray regimen. I was once a skeptic of foliar feeding tomato plants, until I tried it and did a side-by-side comparison.

Two critical steps involved for success:

1. Spray the undersides of your leaves. This is where the stomata are located. I mounted the curved brass spraying wand upside down, (nozzle facing up) on the handle of my backpack sprayer, to make it easier.

2. Use a "sticker-spreader" to facilitate even coverage. I mix 1 tablespoon of inexpensive all-natural (Seventh Generation) dishwashing liquid to each gallon of feeding solution. Works flawlessly.

You can buy a product specifically sold for this purpose, but it is super concentrated, expensive and more suited for large scale commercial growers.

can keep my spirit

Old April 1, 2011   #23
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I just purchased a QT of Drammatic (K) to try. I was surprised that it doesn't smell anywhere as fishy as I would have thought, actually a pretty mild fish scent with a more heavy scent of kelp. It reminded me of something, then I realized it smelled somewhat like a portobello ravioli dish I had last week. (YUM!)

I'm going to get a bottle of the Saltwater Farms SeaCom-PGR to try too.
Mischka, I know you recommend this product. Have you had any experience with SeaStart-PGR too? Any insight into the differences you may have noticed? They seem very similar except for the vitamins added to SeaStart-PGR.
Old April 1, 2011   #24
Mischka

Hi Ray.

I don't use SeaStart PGR much, except on young seedlings, but I've tried both Maxicrop and Neptune's Harvest on both mature plants and seedlings.

As for preferring seaweed-only over seaweed/fish combination products, this is only because I've had trouble with skunks, raccoons and other wildlife being attracted to it and, in the process, damaged LOTS of my plants.

That being said, I'm going to try Saltwater Farm's seaweed/fish product this season on a limited basis to see if the critters bother the plants treated with it.

can keep my spirit

Old April 12, 2011   #25
John3
Tomatovillian™

Mischka thanks for all the information on the Saltwater Farms products I ordered today the liquid seeaweed /fish fertilizer and the SeaCom PGR
If you would please post the Coco-Wet brand you recomended on another post (I have tried to find that post but the search is not letting me do it) - I ask because when I did a google search for Coco-Wet it came up with many different brands. Anyway thanks and hopefully you can set the brand straight for me.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2011   #26
John3
Tomatovillian™

I haven't found the Coco-Wet but after some googleing found the seventh generation dish soap i think. - here-
http://www.drugstore.com/seventh-gen...lear/qxp145457
for $2.21 a bottle - I haven't bought from them.
If this is the correct dish soap it says free shipping on $25 dollar order. And if I understand right can be used instead of the Coco-Wet.
Old April 13, 2011   #27
Mischka

Yes, Seventh Generation brand hand dishwashing liquid is what I've been using for years, as a "sticker-spreader" wetting agent.

Link to product website here: http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Fre...lear/Dish-Soap

Works like a charm and is very cost-effective in comparison to products that are sold specifically to use as a wetting agent for crop spraying.

It can be used in place of Coco-Wet because it contains only biodegradable non-ionic surfactants, derived exclusively from vegetable sources, not petrochemicals.

I called the manufacturer several years ago to confirm this information.

Here's a link to locate where you can purchase it locally:

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/whe...tail-merchants

can keep my spirit

Old April 13, 2011   #28
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I'm using Green Works dishwashing detergent with SeaCom-PGR, same type of product as Seventh Generation. It was only $1.00 at the local Big Lots store.
Old April 23, 2011   #29
John3
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mischka and RayR
Old July 17, 2011   #30
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Yes, Seventh Generation brand hand dishwashing liquid is what I've been using for years, as a "sticker-spreader" wetting agent.

Link to product website here: http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Fre...lear/Dish-Soap

Works like a charm and is very cost-effective in comparison to products that are sold specifically to use as a wetting agent for crop spraying.

It can be used in place of Coco-Wet because it contains only biodegradable non-ionic surfactants, derived exclusively from vegetable sources, not petrochemicals.

I called the manufacturer several years ago to confirm this information.

Here's a link to locate where you can purchase it locally:

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/whe...tail-merchants

This is good to know!!!

Thanks!!