Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 1, 2007   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by giardiniere
While Cuostralee wasn't exactly productive for me last year, in it's defense, we had an extremely HOT summer. The taste was wonderful, and I will grow it again.
But Dave, Cuostralee wasn't even on the list that Randy posted for us to comment on the varieties that he posted.

Nothing at all against Cuostralee, but it wasn't even in contention per Randy's list.
Old February 1, 2007   #17
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
But Dave, Cuostralee wasn't even on the list that Randy posted for us to comment on the varieties that he posted.

Nothing at all against Cuostralee, but it wasn't even in contention per Randy's list.
I guess you're right. I need to read the starter thread a little better...... but then again...... maybe he'll be like me and when someone touts a certain variety I haven't grown, I think, "Ooh, I have to grow that one too". :wink:
That's probably the reason I've gone from 7 tomatoes two years ago, to 24 last year, to 48 planned for this year.
Old February 1, 2007   #18
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by westocast73
Caspian Pink did very well for me in our climate. The taste was leaning toward the mild side which I prefer. Was a great slicer. Nice flesh consistency. Produced very well compared to Brandywine which grew beside it ( Tasted as good IMO ). Disease tolerance also was one of the best of the 14 ( or so? ) I grew last year. All in all was probably the most likely of all the tomatoes I grew last year to be grown repeatedly year after year ( Yes it will be back this year along with a lot of new ones. ) I am sure there are better tasting but it was very good and all its other qualities make it a repeat grower for me.
and I agree - Caspian Pink has been performing very well for me in PNW, and I liked the taste.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #19
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Marianna's Peace and Large Pink Bulgarian. Anna Russian is good, and early, but once the others kicked in, Anna took a back seat.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2007   #20
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Andrey,

I wish I could post a image of the seed package, thought to be Anna Russian(Anna's Russa). Usually I split contents of these packets with others, sending seeds in the package. I just keep the plastic envelope that is marked with the name containing some of the seed.

All the package images I have posted on Tomatoville, have their contents open for trades! Tania is receiving a few of them...

Sorry I can't help with another image, it would have given me the proper name, I'm sure...

Randy
Old February 2, 2007   #21
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

giardiniere,

Cuostralee sounds interesting, I will research the variety...

Randy
Old February 2, 2007   #22
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Thank-you to all, for your suggestions on varieties...

Randy
Old February 2, 2007   #23
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

amideutch,

Thanks for the info on Marianna's Peace. I have wanted to grow this variety for some time...

Randy
Old February 2, 2007   #24
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Besides the European Heirlooms I was asking about in the post, I have settled on my Main Garden varieties.

#1 Black from Tula - This has been in my garden for some time now, and will continue... Very good yeild, excellent taste.(6 Plants)

#2 Novikov's Giant - Very impressed with this variety I received in a trade from Andrey. Wondering what leaf plants I will get this year, PL or RL ??? No matter what leaf, excellent plant and tomato's. Huge yeild! (4 Plants)

#3 Cosmanaut Volkov - This plant impressed me very much last year. Very good yeild of real well balanced tomato's. Much earlier than Druzba, with no disease. Most importantly yeilded well before late blight got into my garden in September.(6 Plants)

#4 Pink Novicok - Received this variety in a trade with a Ukrainian seed trader. Seeds came in a Original Seed Pack(No I don't have a image...). Very suprised in the taste from the oval dark pink tomato's(rich full taste, with a touch of saltiness). This variety yeilded well untill Late Blight took the plants at the end of September.
Grungy received some of these seeds in a trade with me!
"PINK NOVICOK Det 4 - 8 oz pink 70 - 80 days RL Very productive 3 ft plants. Good lighter tomato taste, even sweet/acid balance, almost paste type flesh. 28 lbs/plant (for 2 of the three). 19# 8 oz" (6 Plants)

#5 - Chernomor - This plant may be the variety that resists Late Blight. Produces loads of 4 oz (100 g) perfectly round dark redish-brown tomato's. Taste is very similiar to Black from Tula, maybe more sweet...
This is a must try for growers in the Pacific Northwest.
Plants died the third week of October outside in the main garden, produced untill second week of December in the cold frame. Plants die, ripe fruit remain, no blight...
(4 Plants)

#6 - Mano - A medium size (det.) bush, full of perfectly round 3 oz redish orange tomato's. Excellent full tomato taste, a must have... Received in a trade from Hungary. 70 Days from transplant. (4 Plants)

#7 - Stupice (2 Plants)

#8 - Debarro Pink (2 Plants)

#9 - Clear Pink Early (2 Plants)

#10 -Yubileyny Tarasenko (2 Plants)

*** Will take suggestions for the Heirloom European varieties to fill 12 Plant spots...

Randy
Old February 2, 2007   #25
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I wish I could post a image of the seed package, thought to be Anna Russian(Anna's Russa). Usually I split contents of these packets with others, sending seeds in the package. I just keep the plastic envelope that is marked with the name containing some of the seed.
That's my habit as well

Rozovyi Novichok (original non-translated name of Pink Novice (Rus.>Eng.)) is a pink version of well-known Novichok with red-orange fruits which is a Russian CV dev. in 1980s by Volgograd AES of VNIIR.

De Barao Rozovyi (~De Barao Pink)

Cosmanaut Volkov=Cosmonaut Volkov :wink:

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote