Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old November 11, 2013   #31
kath
Tomatovillian™

Still have brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cilantro, lettuce & spinach and a low of 21 predicted for a couple nights this week here, too. Ate my last sweet red pepper tonight.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2013   #32
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

We'll be getting the coldest weather of the season, as well, but not as cold as you guys! I picked my remaining peppers yesterday. I have escarole, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, kale, beets and carrots out there too. Can't stand to have any empty beds!
Old November 12, 2013   #33
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The only things left in my garden are next year's garlic and shallots, and a few herbs still hanging on in pots -- sage, thyme, oregano, and chives. I did manage to get one mature Rugosa squash, which I picked yesterday before pulling up all the vines. I planted them late after digging up the garlic, so I'm glad I'll at least get to try it in order to decide if I want to squeeze some in a bit earlier next year.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2013   #34
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I just got my shallots planted on Friday. I was way behind. I think they were delivered in September!
Old November 14, 2013   #35
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Ethiopian Blue Mustard (Highland Kale)

Pea shoots

Spigariello (broccoli kale or leaf broccoli)

Nasturtium (in the greenhouse)

Florence Torpedo Onion starts (in the greenhouse)

That's it. I trade for other produce at the farmers' market.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013   #36
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, carrots, turnip greens, and lettuce growing in the gardens. Micro-greens (radish and turnip) sprouting in the kitchen. Gotta love the micro-greens. Powerful green vitamins for that salad or soup.

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013   #37
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I love stuff I can grow in a tray. Seems like the only thing I can grow successfully, to be honest -- everything else is either growing after accidental neglect, better attributed to extremely lucky weather than skill, or a stunted version of what should be a massive plant.

I have two trays of mesclun mix growing really nicely in containers. Most of the winter stuff I put in the ground either didn't come up or didn't thrive. I also have peppers, oregano, thyme, lots of kale, broccoli, a handful of surviving cherry tomato plants. Also a Black and Brown Boar plant and a Green Zebra plant that have survived heat, cold, rain, and parching.

I'm guessing my very poor dirt is the root cause (pun intended) and next season I'm going to lay a LOT of compost down. Fortunately I've been making some!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013   #38
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

perennial kale (aka tree collards) -- I eat a few raw leaves every day all year
Ruby Streaks mustard -- a really beautiful plant but pungent
Purple Peacock Broccoli -- the birds and snails love it too -- I started a couple dozen plants and am down to 3-4 healthy ones
Pixie cabbage
garlic -- already planted at one garden
buttercrunch lettuce -- still trying to like lettuce
arugula -- reseeded itself; I eat a few leaves every day
mache -- comes back every year
violas -- one of the best tasting flowers, comes back every year
nasturtiums -- reseeds
yacon -- will be ready to harvest anytime now until Feb. or so
jerusalem artichokes -- harvested a bunch, still have a lot more in the ground
Florence Red onions
green onions (aka bunching onions) -- I nibble on these in the garden
Red Russian kale
Rainbow Lacinato kale -- planted a couple years ago and I keep cutting it back
Redventure celery -- reseeded itself; too bitter to eat raw, but dries well and is great for cooking
Amsterdam cutting celery -- reseeded itself
cilantro
flat-leaf parsley --reseeded itself
still have a few carrots in the ground
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013   #39
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have a tub of leeks and a tub of greens: mizuna, a spicy mustard, and a butterhead lettuce, that I brought into the greenhouse when it started to get frosty. I'm cutting the leeks instead of pulling them, to see how they do for an early regrow in the spring.
Also a very large rosemary plant that will probably come indoors at some point for the winter.
I have some scrawny green onions from late seed ("Hardy Evergreen") that need to be fed/potted up/ given light and warmth to get going for the winter, ditto for garlic chives.
I have some radishes still living in the garden after a brutal cold snap a couple days ago, but some other critter has decided that radish leaves are good eatin. Still a few leaves on the lacinato and scotch kale as well, but probably too tough to interest the average wildlife.
I'll be starting seed for microgreens and baby greens under lights soon, I hope, but waiting till the annual general container cleanup has been done to make sure there aren't lurky pests brought indoors in the process.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2013   #40
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

My winter garden consists of lots of winter squash (many varieties), beets, carrots, onions,
and about 50 tomato varieties with a concentration on paste tomatoes (thanks to a very
generous gal on Tomatoville). One plant has set over 23 'maters and I am going to have to
learn how to make tomato paste, for sure. I planted all my okra and rhubarb before I left
Canada. I have about a dozen 'maters in 5 gal. buckets lining my driveway; If we get a
freeze, I will wheel them into the garage. The rest are in my hoophouses and hothouses as
we can get frost or even freeze at our altitude here in So. Calif.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2013   #41
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

You know, I feel dumb, but I didn't even think to plant winter squash. It's even in the name. Are you all mostly in the 60s (down to 40s at night) this time of year too?
Old December 6, 2013   #42
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Normally, we are in the high sixties during the day and forties at nights at this
time of the year. However, with this global warming, we are looking at the
low fifties during the day and mid-thirties at night for a couple of weeks at least.
Most of the 'maters that I care about are in the hoop houses or hot houses as
are the cukes, but the squash, carrots and beets are at war with the elements.
My squash has set fruit though.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2013   #43
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

My MIL hired a lawn crew to tidy our place up for Christmas. Thoughtful gift, but both of my pumpkins were mowed over. Sadly. I waited all summer for them to do something and they seemed to be enjoying the cooler weather! It's been pretty cold here too, high 40s. The cold weather greens are in heaven, eggplant and tomatoes, not so much. All the peppers are inside.
Old December 7, 2013   #44
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
You know, I feel dumb, but I didn't even think to plant winter squash. It's even in the name. Are you all mostly in the 60s (down to 40s at night) this time of year too?
In my climate, winter squash is planted at the same time as summer squash. The vines can last longer than summer squash, but the first frost (a few days ago, here) does them in. (Actually, I had a hybrid zucchini and a tromboncino this year that kept on producing until frost! But all the other summer squash were done over a month ago.) The squash themselves -- depending on the variety -- can last all winter indoors in a cool place, though. I have one that's 2 years old.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote