Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 18, 2013   #1
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Default My Story

So last year my high school friend posted pictures of his upside down tomato plants on Facebook and it got me interested in growing tomatoes. I had no previous history with growing tomatoes, no history of family members growing tomatoes when I grew up. Seeing his pictures made me go out to Lowes and buy a upside down plant which I took home and still to this day have not planted! Instead I started studying tomato gardening online and decided that I would instead use some 5 gallon buckets to grow tomatoes. So I run back out to Lowes and buy tomato seeds. I grabbed all Burpee Hybrids such as Steak Sandwich Hybrid (~10oz), Early Treat Hybrid (~4oz) and Queen of hearts (~2-4oz). Not knowing what a hybrid was nor knowing anything about heirlooms or organic gardening I splurge and buy several bags of Miracle Gro garden soil to go in my buckets.

Luckily, I'm able to get 5 gallon buckets for free from my work and was actually able to get some free 2x10's that had knots and bark blemishes. This allowed me to go ahead an build a 7.5' x 30" x 10" bed which I end up putting a Bonnie Orange Jubilee Heirloom plant that I bought at Home Depot along with some cuk's and other veggies. I filled the bed with not only Miracle Gro but to save some money I threw in just cheap top soil and some mushroom compost that I grabbed at Lowes also. I mixed in Osmocote to feed them also.

I became a member here and began reading about all of the varieties, at first I was only wanting to learn more about how to water, which soil to use and which fertilizer is best, etc. but after having planted all of my seedlings out in 5 gallon buckets did I learn about mysterious world of heirlooms and found out about all of the other colored tomatoes! Until this point tomatoes were green and red and perfect looking due to my only knowledge being store bought tomatoes. This site opened my eyes to the beautiful world of real tomatoes that I had never known before.

I actually found a Cherokee Purple plant at Wal Mart here and bought (2) 15 gallon buckets from the local nursery. It was already so late in the season for the CP that it didn't make many tomatoes for me but they were great. I ended up buying more tomatoes at the farmers market and fell in love with the flavor.

I didn't do such a great job last year of using the right lighting for my seedlings or keeping my plants from becoming leggy but all in all I had a decent season considering I only put out 10 buckets along with the CP plant and Orange Jubilee plant I bought.

Having not fertilized until the plants were put out in 5 gallon buckets, I used fish emulsion. I had also bought Osmocote from Lowes this added to the fertilizer in the Miracle Gro along with the 5-1-1 in the emulsion and it's no wonder the plants grew tall. I started from seed the last week in March, and didn't put the plants out in 5 gallon buckets until the last week in May due to my daughter being born on May 6, 2012. By the middle of the season I went out and purchased Miracle Gro Bloom Booster to try and raise the size of the fruit. It seemed to do well for me as my largest seed Steak Sandwich were actually giving me some 12oz fruit from the buckets. along with the 5 gallon buckets my plants achieved >7 feet height last year which was probably short considering all of the food and fertilizer.

I didn't receive any ripened fruit from the Burpee seeds until August and while I didn't weight the harvest overall I was pleased with the outcome. I ate many tomato sandwiches, as many as I could on hamburgers and salads. We ended up making two large crock pot spaghetti sauces and still yet ended up wasting several tomatoes due to not being able to can, etc.

I ended up buying a 20 foot soaker hose from Lowes and watering from the top of the 5 gallon buckets on a timer last season. I bought red mulch to put on the top of the soil in the buckets due to the excess heat. This year I will buy pvc and water them from below. I'll also use plastic to keep the moisture in instead of wood mulch. I bought mostly 6 foot green stakes from Lowes to tie the tomato plants to but I'll be improving this somewhat this year. I pulled suckers on a almost daily basis last season and still believe that to be successful growing in 5g buckets you have to do this.

Having spent the last year reading more and more about tomatoes and soaking up as much information as I could from this wonderful site I anxiously await this season having learned a lot from trial and error last season. I'm also somewhat worried that due to starting mostly heirloom seed this year that my output will not be as great as last year and so I have started a couple of hybrid seeds left over from last year. I now have (21) 5 gallon buckets and I'm currently building a 2nd raised bed at 7.5' x 36" x 10" to compliment my first bed. I saved seed from the Orange Jubilee plant I bought last year and so far the seed has started great. I only took a few pictures from last year and they were all pictures of the buckets and I didn't take pictures of the raised bed.

I appreciate everyone's helpful advice and enjoy reading about your experiences! Below is pictures of my wife and daughter, my plants and some of my tomato output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-15 14.21.46b.jpg (127.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-15 14.23.00.jpg (215.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 6_6_2012ab.jpg (82.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-07 19-39-48a.jpg (64.4 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Al@NC; March 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #2
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

This was fun to read-you write well. Congratulations on the new little girl too !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #3
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Deja-vous all over again!! It is amazing how the metamorphosis takes over once a person
plants a tomato seed or two!! Looks like you didn't stay in the cocoon stage as long as I
have. Welcome.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #4
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Al@NC,
Great read. It's always nice to read about a gardener's first attempt and successful season growing vegetables. As you move forward with your gardening, you'll find that you'll eventually grow more varieties and have more than you can eat. There's no better way to make friends, relatives, and neighbors happy, than giving them fresh grown vegetables from your garden. The pictures of your harvest show that you did your homework and were very successful this past year. Good luck with your garden this year.
DP
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #5
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Those are some beautiful tomatoes! But not one of them holds a candle to that cute little girl your wife is holding.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures, Al- ditto about your sweet baby! Wishing you all the best this season and hoping you'll find time to write about the inevitable ups and downs.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #7
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you are doing well and I hope you have an even better season this year. I recommend you visit some garage/thrift/rummage sales to get a bargain on a canner or two. I still see them used for around $5 in nice shape up here in Siberia Cherish your younger years with your wife and child/children to come...they are some of the best times of your life!
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #8
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I've been meaning to ask. Who's the furry guy with the toupee in your pic?

He's a riot!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #9
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

Yes, do look for a cheap canner somewhere. I didn't know what to do with all my tomatoes so I just threw them straight into freezer bags and shoved them in my freezer. Just gave them a light rinse and nothing else. I have been pulling them out all winter for sauces, stews, chili as well as making roasted cherry tomatoes in the oven. So don't fret if you don't can, there are options! In fact, I believe there are whole threads on here for what to do with the harvest. Welcome to the wonderful world of tomatoes, it's a good place to be
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #10
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Nice story!

Here's what I hope to do if I ever have enough tomatoes at one time.

The thick Italian conserva described at the bottom of this post:
http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=842&postcount=2

Actually I am curious about trying it on low in a crockpot, as someone else described beneath that.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #11
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

Yah! Another North Carolinian!

I'm in central NC about an hour north of Raleigh. Where are you?

Awesome post and pictures! You're container plants are huge and loaded with fruit! I started with containers, but now am in the ground and trialing as many varieties as I can!

If you're looking for heirloom transplants, or anything really, the ginormous State Farmer's Markets in Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville have a wonderful selection. Wish I was closer to one...I badly miss the Piedmont Triad market in Greensboro....Moved from there a couple years ago. I'm originally from the NC coast (Havelock/New Bern).

I can't wait to see more of your pictures!

~Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
2nd Foundation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #12
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Thank you everyone for the warm responses, I don't share a lot of personal information so this was a different experience for me to share this. I've enjoyed reading so much from everyone else and their experiences and hope that someone new may take something from my experience.

Quote:
I recommend you visit some garage/thrift/rummage sales to get a bargain on a canner or two. I still see them used for around $5 in nice shape up here in Siberia
I am hoping to can possibly this year, I found for whatever reason that it was easier for me to grow tomatoes than it was to grow herbs! For whatever reason the basil, cilantro and oregano didn't do much of anything for me last year but I don't give up easily so we're trying again this year. It was really nice making the spaghetti sauce in the crock pot, adding the herbs we bought at the grocery store and taking the time to skin the tomatoes and spoon out the seeds.

Quote:
I'm in central NC about an hour north of Raleigh. Where are you?
We're about 20 minutes north of Asheville in Weaverville NC. I love the Asheville farmer's market, I remember going there as a child but we stopped going, growing tomatoes has me going all over again. I have not been to the Greensboro or Raleigh markets, I may make it a day and travel to one of them though this summer. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Oh, I've been meaning to ask. Who's the furry guy with the toupee in your pic?
He's a riot!
I wish I could take credit for the dog with the toupee but I found him on the internet one year and so when I was thinking of a good avatar I remembered him. I still smile every time I see him!
@kilroyscarnival, I believe I read on here somewhere that someone else made crock pot spaghetti sauce but I took the recipe at this site below and tweaked it to my liking.

http://www.food.com/recipe/my-crock-...ti-sauce-67860

I've attached a more recent photo of our daughter Ava, it's hard to believe that she's almost 1 already!
My wife is pregnant again with a due date of October 9th so I better get good at growing vegetables!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-11_13-02-23_456.jpg (154.4 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Al@NC; March 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #13
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

You have a very beautiful baby girl. I enjoyed reading your post very much.
You should be very proud of your efforts-that was a very nice harvest!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #14
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

You are addicted to one of the most wonderful things in the world, tomatoes! Great to read all about your garden and how you and it have grown. Hoe that little girl of yours gets the bug about growing a beautiful bounty as well.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote