Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 25, 2020   #1
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Default Buying Tomato seeds from Ebay vendors?

I tried Tatiannas,but the website says no orders till fall.

I've ordered other seeds from Ebay only to be disappointed with quality.Is there a vendor there that can be trusted that anyone here can recommend?I've looked at some of the better known seedbanks,but have not had very much success finding more than one variety at each website.When you consider the shipping that they all charge,it easily becomes kind of spendy when you have to order from multiple sources to fill your list of tomatoes for the season.

I am looking for:

Aker's West Virginia

Anna Russian

Cowlick Brandywine

Crnkovic Yugoslavian

Kosovo

Tommy Toe

Wes

I did a quick search and couldn't find Crnkovic Yugoslavian online.The rest can be found online,but it will take multiple orders.

I have seen most offered on Ebay,but I am a tad leery because I've been skunked before.I am very sure there are Ebay vendors who are trustworthy.It'd just be nice to know which ones to purchase from.

Suggestions are welcome...

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; February 25, 2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Alphabetical lists are nice.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2020   #2
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about Ebay merchants because I don't buy seeds there, but Sandhill lists Crnkovic Yugoslavian (https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pink-tomatoes) and probably many of the other varieties you listed. Don't look for online ordering with them, but shipping is always very reasonable, if that helps, and packets are generous.
Old February 25, 2020   #3
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much.That is just what I was hoping for...almost an entirely 1stop shop.All tehy didn't have was the Kosovo (I can get by without it I suppose) and the Cowlick.I might actually just go to Ebay for those..

Thanks again.That saves me a lot of frustration.
Old February 25, 2020   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

You can also post here in the "Seeds Wanted" section.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2020   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have 4 of the varieties you want. At 1 time I also had Crnkovic Yugoslavian but wasn't able to get decent seeds from them.

My site used to get better placement on Google, but with all the changes they make all the time, now it rarely seems to show varieties that I do have. I have over 500 mostly heirloom varieties. Of what you want I have Cowlick Brandywine, Kosovo, Anna Russian, Wes, and Tommy Toe Yellow, sorry not the red. My shipping is $4 for any amount and free with orders over $50.

knapps-fresh-vegies.com
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2020   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Besides Carol and Glenn at Sandhill there is Sampleseeds.com owned by Remy. In my opinion and from many years purchasing experience, these are the top three sellers for correct seeds, low prices and top notch customer service. If Tania at Tatianastomatobase.com ever decides to come out of retirement, add her to the list.
Old February 25, 2020   #7
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
You can also post here in the "Seeds Wanted" section.

Where is this "Seeds Wanted" section of which you speak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I have 4 of the varieties you want. At 1 time I also had Crnkovic Yugoslavian but wasn't able to get decent seeds from them.

My site used to get better placement on Google, but with all the changes they make all the time, now it rarely seems to show varieties that I do have. I have over 500 mostly heirloom varieties. Of what you want I have Cowlick Brandywine, Kosovo, Anna Russian, Wes, and Tommy Toe Yellow, sorry not the red. My shipping is $4 for any amount and free with orders over $50.

knapps-fresh-vegies.com
Carol

Ok.I visited your site and you can expect my order shortly.Thank you Carol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Besides Carol and Glenn at Sandhill there is Sampleseeds.com owned by Remy. In my opinion and from many years purchasing experience, these are the top three sellers for correct seeds, low prices and top notch customer service. If Tania at Tatianastomatobase.com ever decides to come out of retirement, add her to the list.

Thank you Paul for the help.Sad that Tania is taking time off.Hope all is well with her.

You know...Sandhill has a great list.The lack of online ordering must really impact their sales tho.I don't mind an extra step or 2,but having to copy that order form to a usb and then take to the local print shop is a bit of a challenge.It's one of those rare instances where a printer would be handy to have.
Old February 25, 2020   #8
MissS
Tomatovillian™

The Seeds Wanted section can be found towards the bottom of the home page in the Tomatoville Seed Exchange. It is the fourth title from the bottom of the home page.
Old February 26, 2020   #9
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the directions MissS.I didn't understand the navigation at first.

I think I'll go ahead and order the others from Sandhill even tho it is a little less convenient.I can't imagine how difficult it must be to run a farm and do seed preservation as well as sell seeds.If they can do all that,I can get a form printed out and buy a Money Order to support their efforts.

Trop
Old February 26, 2020   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalgrower View Post
Thanks for the directions MissS.I didn't understand the navigation at first.

I think I'll go ahead and order the others from Sandhill even tho it is a little less convenient.I can't imagine how difficult it must be to run a farm and do seed preservation as well as sell seeds.If they can do all that,I can get a form printed out and buy a Money Order to support their efforts.

Trop
And unless things have changed recently, Glen teaches at the local high school.
Old February 29, 2020   #11
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I know the subject has shifted away from "buying tomato seeds from EBay," but I would like to point out the fabulous availability of many hundreds of professionally processed Russian tomato varieties from a couple of EBay sellers, ANDLEG and olzzzass2891. I found them when I decided to try a bunch of Siberian hearts this year. Seeds are just over $1 per pack, so extremely reasonably priced. All of the highly regarded hearts are there (EM Champion, Pink Honey, Eagle's Beak, Mazarini, Eagle's Heart, Danko, Golden Heart, Malva, Amber Heart, Sweet Heart etc, etc) , and I finally located the actual early determinate Moskvich, not the North American indeterminate masquerading as such. I took a chance with one called "Ultra Fast" since I am always willing to try a new early in my Zone 3a garden. Seeds listed are not expired and may have been sourced from sibsad-nsk.ru which has over 775 varieties.

Last edited by RJGlew; February 29, 2020 at 09:54 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2020   #12
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

A positive vote for olzzzass... The other vendor is overpriced, imho.

There are a few others on Ebay (including some people who are on Tomatoville), but for commercially packaged seeds from Russia, olzzzass may be the best option.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2020   #13
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post

There are a few others on Ebay (including some people who are on Tomatoville), but for commercially packaged seeds from Russia, olzzzass may be the best option.
I think ANDLEG may have dropped his prices since they are now basically the same as olzzzass2891.

Agreed other TV folks are there as well such as Mike from Ohio Heirloom Seeds, and his stuff is excellent.
Old March 1, 2020   #14
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
I know the subject has shifted away from "buying tomato seeds from EBay," but I would like to point out the fabulous availability of many hundreds of professionally processed Russian tomato varieties from a couple of EBay sellers, ANDLEG and olzzzass2891.

I actually asked about reliable ebay vendors in my initial post.It may well have been overlooked,but I had actually hoped to find some.I am glad that Carol answered and that Paul gave me the website for Sandhill.Between the 2,I have all my seeds covered...except for maybe trying Moskvich.I'm buying blind here tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post

I thank you all for the help.Very much appreciated.

Now.Which hearts should I be ordering from olzzzass or ANDLEG?
Old March 1, 2020   #15
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalgrower View Post
Now.Which hearts should I be ordering from olzzzass or ANDLEG?
For me, since I wanted to try Russian/Siberian hearts, I searched TV for Andrey_BY's suggestions since he is in Belarus. The conclusion I came to is he regularly suggests the following:

EM-Champion
Eagle's Beak
Mazarini
Pink Honey

I have only grown pink honey so far, which has been excellent, and my original seeds came from Ohio Heirloom. I will try the other 3 varieties this summer with seeds from the EBay folks I mentioned. I also picked up pink honey from RU to grow next to Mike's stuff to see if there is any drift with his US version of the original.

Vladimir (MrBig46) has grown a pile of hearts and documented them a few years ago, and Carolyn137 (rip) was also a heart fan who had many suggestions. You can search TV to find these.

Last edited by RJGlew; March 1, 2020 at 08:40 AM.