Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 28, 2016   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default I got fed up with the noise

My 40+ year old Craftsman table saw made a lot of noise from vibration. This was unnecessary noise caused by the insert on top of the saw vibrating when the motor was running. The insert is held down by a screw on one end and by a spring steel retainer at the other end. The spring steel retainer cannot be tensioned enough to make the insert stop vibrating. The noise it made was louder than the motor!

I fixed the problem by drilling the end for the spring retainer all the way through the cast iron table, then chamfered and threaded the hole for a 10-32 machine screw. I then slotted the end of the insert so I can push it under the screw and tighten it down. The result is a noise reduction to a level better than when it was new.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote