Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old August 25, 2013   #1
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Stratford (Ontario) Garlic Festival - September 7/8, 2013

Coming up on the annual Stratford Garlic Festival in Stratford, Ontario.

http://www.stratfordgarlicfestival.com/

http://www.stratfordgarlicfestival.c...es/general.png

Lots of great garlic to purchase for fall planting, as well as eating. And lots of food stuffs with garlic as the main theme. Also a number of vendors last year who should be back this year that sold gluten free items.

Great presentations by renown Authors and TV chefs. Garlic Braiding workshop. Black Box Contest.

I'm heading there on the Saturday for most of the day. Hope to see many of you there!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2013   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Stratford Garlic Festival

September 7, 2013. Visited the Stratford Garlic Festival today. What a beautiful setting and an overall delightful experience. There were probably 20 or so vendors of garlic and almost all types were well represented and abundant. I bought some large Magic garlic bulbs for seed this Fall, but there were many other types in pristine condition. http://www.stratfordgarlicfestival.com/

In an adjourning field there was a large Farmers Market also a pavilion with various farm produce.

No pets were allowed in the large outdoor field so I could not take my dog. There is absolutely no justifiable reason for this ruling and I have voiced my opinion to the Festival committee, hoping for a change in policy next year.

The Festival terminates on September 8, 2013.

Last edited by Durgan; September 7, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2013   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Durgan,

I have a feeling that the restriction on no pets/dogs is because they're serving food. The laws governing having animals present in a "restaurant" situation are not as lenient as Europe and frankly are antiquated in my opinion. I know most of the committee and most would probably allow dogs if they could.

By the way...I stocked up on my annual supply of garlic. Most I keep for making my own garlic powder mix (I grind my own after drying them). The rest I use for seed or cooking. But figured I picked up at least 25lbs today....lol...and found a few new to me varieties.

Did you try the garlic fudge and other fudges with the hot peppers? Lots of great hot sauces to be found too.

Glad I got there in the afternoon as it was less wet. Was this your first visit to the Stratford Garlic Festival?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2013   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

My first visit to the Stratford Garlic Festival. Thanks to your post. I have been to the various theatres over the years. There was a great selection of garlic available. I was comparing the various garlics to what I grow. Mine is as good as it gets which is nice to know.

I bought some Music garlic for planting in the 2013/2014 season.

I never tried the Chefs specials, since I am not a big fan of garlic. I stink too much if I eat it, since it comes out of my pores. I like growing it, since it is so easy and takes little care.
Old September 8, 2013   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post

I never tried the Chefs specials, since I am not a big fan of garlic. I stink too much if I eat it, since it comes out of my pores. I like growing it, since it is so easy and takes little care.
The solution to that is to find a bunch of garlic loving friends and family members. If everyone stinks like garlic, no one notices or cares!

Glad you made it to the festival. We've hit both the Hudson Valley festival in NY and the Bennington VT festival in the past. The NY festival was enormous with dozens of garlic farmers selling a huge variety of garlics, and I'd love to make it back out to it one of these years. Bennington was smaller and more of an artisan fair with about a dozen of garlic farmer's booths scattered amongst the food and craft vendors.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post

I have a feeling that the restriction on no pets/dogs is because they're serving food. ....
yeah i'm sure that is one reason and no one want to step in dog crap or have dogs running loose and jumping on and knocking people down or leashed dogs lunging at each other, should i continue?

i love dogs but it's the owners that are the problem. best to leave them home.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

"yeah i'm sure that is one reason and no one want to step in dog crap or have dogs running loose and jumping on and knocking people down or leashed dogs lunging at each other,"

Certainly not my experience with dogs at appropriate public functions. Most people clean up after their dogs even in Brantford to some degree.

In my experience a far larger concern is the faeces from the Canada Goose. Example. In Elliott Lake Parks which is laced with "no dogs allowed" signs the ground is so saturated with Canada Goose faeces that it is almost impossible to get to the playground.

Often people take their dogs on holiday and leaving them at home is not an option.

At Fort Steele in Alberta, a beautiful site, there are even signs "Dogs welcome". May there be more in other places.
Old September 8, 2013   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
"yeah i'm sure that is one reason and no one want to step in dog crap or have dogs running loose and jumping on and knocking people down or leashed dogs lunging at each other,"

Certainly not my experience with dogs at appropriate public functions. Most people clean up after their dogs even in Brantford to some degree.

In my experience a far larger concern is the faeces from the Canada Goose. Example. In Elliott Lake Parks which is laced with "no dogs allowed" signs the ground is so saturated with Canada Goose faeces that it is almost impossible to get to the playground.

Often people take their dogs on holiday and leaving them at home is not an option.

At Fort Steele in Alberta, a beautiful site, there are even signs "Dogs welcome". May there be more in other places.
We like to take our well-behaved dogs with us, and we pick up after them. We patronize dog-friendly tourist destinations when we travel and we visit restaurants with dog-friendly patios. We are currently fighting to save our beautiful 8 acre off-leash dog park from planners who want to change it.

From what I have read, Alberta is a very dog-friendly province with many huge off-leash dog parks. Good for them!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #9
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

"From what I have read, Alberta is a very dog-friendly province with many huge off-leash dog parks. Good for them!"

British Columbia is totally against dogs. "No dogs signs" everywhere.
Old September 9, 2013   #10
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

As a former Ontarian who lives in BC, I can honestly say you are wrong. BC is a very dog friendly province and we can take our dogs to many markets, beaches and have quite a few off leash parks. When I attended the Stratford festival last year I was very disappointed that my dog was not allowed and the reasons for it were rather bogus. Of all the provinces I have visited Ontario is without doubt the most over regulated and over policed. It is the only province that has a ban on pit bulls. A typical misinformed knee jerk reaction.

However, I did enjoy the festival in Stratford as I did the other good one in Perth.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote