Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old June 3, 2010   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default Ideas for prizes at tomato tastings?

Last year I gave away a couple of those great Tomato bags Remy sold from her grocery store, some lengths of SRM film we used as tablecloths, and a couple of certificates for free tomato plants for the following year.

Does anyone have any ideas for some cool door prizes for our tomato tasting this year?

We've got close to 70 RSVP's so far...should be quite an event!
Old June 4, 2010   #2
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

What kind of people usually come to your tomato tasting? Growers, eaters, or a mix? Additionally are you trying to spend little money on your door prizes, or make a modest purchase (like less than $10 or less than $5 etc...)

Just a few ideas, gardening supplies like trowels, ties for tomatoes, satchels of fertilizer; books like Carolyn's, cook books featuring tomatoes, etc...
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2010   #3
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Mostly growers...a few friends/family members of growers as well. A lot of them are actually people that buy my plants in the spring...the tasting is an added bonus for buying my plants, but the tasting is open to anyone actually.

Not looking to spend a ton of money...maybe $50 at the most for several gifts. I'll check the clearance aisles for garden tools, fertilizer (would be great if Tomatotone went on sale!) and ties...great ideas on those and the books.
Old June 5, 2010   #4
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

If you have a Borders or Waldenbooks nearby, you might want to check out there clearance section, maybe you'll be lucky and find some cheap book on tomatoes or gardening. I'm not sure if its acceptable, but you could maybe break up a bag of Tomatotone and put a tomatoes (or two or whatever) worth of fertilizer in a small paper lunch bag. Another thing might be to make a bag of spaghetti herbs/spices.

Personally as a grower I could always use more things to tie my plants up
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2011   #5
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

If you could find some cheap canning supplies of some kind, that may be good.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote