Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old January 27, 2011   #1
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Default Participants Wanted in Oklahoma Tomato Trial

Sponsor: The Oklahoma Horticulture Study Group, Inc

Tomato Trial 2011

in 2009 we conducted a tomato trial of "New to Us" varieties. here is a link to the trial.

http://duckcreekfarms.com/pdfs/TomatoResults2011.pdf

We would like to continue this trial this year with the help of other Oklahoma gardeners.

I grew over 600 plants in 2009 and I just don't have the time or space to devote now. Besides, I am concentrating most of my growing area to seed production as well as fruit production for the farmer's market this year.

If you would like to participate, please email me with the number of plants you would like to trial. Container growers welcome, but I mostly want to conduct in ground trials. Let me know if you are planing to grow in containers.

This is what we need from particpants..

Since this is an Oklahoma Trial, you need to reside in Oklahoma. You must pick them up in person, as I want to put a face with each grower.

You can request up to 20 tomato plants. You can get one to three plants of different varieties, but limit to 20 plants total. You can not reserve a particular variety and will be on a first come bases.

We will meet somewhere in Tulsa to distribute the plants. Probably sometime the first week in May

I am limiting this to the first 300 requested plants

All tomatoes will be Heirloom/OP types.

I will need a commitment from you that you will keep records of the performance and report back during and immediately after the growing season. Doesn't have to be scientific, just how they do and if they produce well. You can get as detailed as you want. but not necessary. I would prefer that the results remain with the participants until the end of the trial so I can get the results compiled.

We might even try to organize a tasting (participation optional) in the Tulsa area where we can bring tomatoes in July or August so everyone can try. You can bring any variety to the tasting, not just the trial varieties. Non trial participants absolutely welcome and encouraged to attend.

We might also conduct a email round robin with the participants to see how things are progressing.

The trial varieties will be determined by me and they may or may not be "new to the market" varieties. I will try to get a list with descriptions of the available varieties out before plant distribution but no promises. All I can say is that I have a large collection of very interesting varieties, many fairly new to the market.

I am a professional/licensed plant grower, so all plants you receive will be of the highest quality.

I reserve the right to cancel the project, if we do not get enough participation.

email or PM me if you would like to participate

Last edited by DuckCreekFarms; January 28, 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2011   #2
tedln

DCF,

Did you not have a 2010 trial? Your 2009 trial results were very interesting and since I only live about fifteen miles south of Oklahoma along I-35, your results should be applicable in my area. I know we get as hot as you in mid summer, but we can also plant out a couple of weeks earlier than you with a slightly longer fall season.

Great information!

Thanks

Ted
Old January 29, 2011   #3
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

No we didn't have a trial last season, good thing as it was just a bad season for tomatoes.... for me anyway. What few I did get planted out didn't make anything.
gary
Old January 29, 2011   #4
tedln

I had the same problems with my 2010 tomato crop as you. I'm hoping for a better 2011 tomato season. I don't have a greenhouse, so will be planting out and protecting around March 1. Hopefully, I will get a few more blossoms and fruit set before the heat hits. I am trying thirty six varieties looking for the same qualities as you, but I will emphasize watching for blooming and fruit set in the warmer weather. Good Luck!

Ted
Old January 29, 2011   #5
rscott6121
Tomatovillian™

I just read your post on gardeners forum and would like to participate. I live in southeastern ok. Like everybody else last years tomatoes didn't do to good. I want to try different variety's this year.
rscott6121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011   #6
bmayes
Tomatovillian™

Default plants

i would like to be in your trial i plant 40 plants each year i would use 20-30 of yours and would be glad to provide data back to you.
bmayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011   #7
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

bmayes.....send me your email to DuckCreekFarms@aol.com