Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old October 28, 2010   #1
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Default Smagedage 2010 Tomato Tasting in Toftegaard (Copenhagen)

Mod Note: This thread was split from here.

Thanks to DanishGardener for suggesting I attend the Gartneri Toftegaard Smagedage (tasting day) in Køge. The event was September 5, 2010 from 1pm-4:30pm.

I'm glad to finally post my photos from Smagedage 2010. I know it was almost 2 months ago but I've been rather backlogged on different projects.

I took the S-Train down to Køge (a 40 minute ride south of Copenhagen) with my bike and rode 7km down to the event. It was a beautiful sunny day and made for a nice bike ride.

Got to the event and there were hundreds of people there to taste tomatoes and peppers. I don't speak Danish, so I didn't go through the tour. I did get to walk around the greenhouse with the thousands of tomato, pepper, eggplant, ground cherries, and other plants. The tomato plants were grown 4 in each 20kg bag of compost and grown up strings.

The medium and large tomatoes didn't blow me away flavor-wise, perhaps due to cool temperatures late in the summer just before the event, and being grown in a greenhouse. I mean, Brandywine was merely average to me. However Sungold and Black Cherry were fantastic and exactly what I expected.

Smagedage 2010 near Køge, Denmark [178 Photos]

Smagedage 2010 near Køge, Denmark [178 Photos]

I bought a few tomatoes to take home, but my favorites by far were the Black Cherry or Sungold. I didn't taste the peppers as they were just raw. I did enjoy the BBQ ribs being served up. Hope you like the pictures!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Feldon

Thanks for posting the photos. Very interesting. Were the plants watered by a drip system or hydro or what?
Old October 28, 2010   #3
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much for the update and pictures!
You are right about september not being an ideal month flavor-vise, but I guess they have to set the date for september (as most peppers won't start ripening before mid-august/september here). It's funny that you mention the cherry tomatoes, because it a saying here that the taste of the cherry tomatoes peak in september
when it starts to get cold (I'm not sure why the beefsteaks seem to do the opposite)
I'm glad you had a nice day, and maybe you learned something about growing tomatoes here too
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Feldon

Thanks for posting the photos. Very interesting. Were the plants watered by a drip system or hydro or what?
I don't know, but here are some pictures that might help:

and at the end of the rows:

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old October 29, 2010   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Feldon:

That looks like some kind of system that reclaims the water. I forget what its called. Thanks for posting the photo for me to see.
Old August 25, 2011   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Suze for splitting this into its own thread.

I intend to attend this year's Smagedage on Sunday, September 4th. It's been an exceptionally cool, grey, and rainy year so I am doubting the tomatoes will have a strong flavor, but nonetheless I will go. I miss growing tomatoes.