Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old September 7, 2012   #1
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepperfest in Kutztown Pa

Just got back from picking at the farm near the Pepper festival.Got some Lemon Drop peppers,a Summer Sweet Yellow Bell pepper,3 orange cowhorn peppers,a Pinstripe eggplant,a Kateri eggplant,some Green Grape cherry tomatoes,a nice big Hughs tomato,a Cherokee Green tomato,and some green Zebra cherry tomatoes.All for five dollars.If you're not too far away Id recommend this festival.You can get wagon rides back and forth from the festival to the fields. Barry
Barryblushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryblushes View Post
Just got back from picking at the farm near the Pepper festival.Got some Lemon Drop peppers,a Summer Sweet Yellow Bell pepper,3 orange cowhorn peppers,a Pinstripe eggplant,a Kateri eggplant,some Green Grape cherry tomatoes,a nice big Hughs tomato,a Cherokee Green tomato,and some green Zebra cherry tomatoes.All for five dollars.If you're not too far away Id recommend this festival.You can get wagon rides back and forth from the festival to the fields. Barry
That sounds like Jim and Alma Weaver's place. If you ever go back please say Hi to Jim for me. I got to know him quite a few years ago when I was invited to do a dog and pony show for Organic Gardening,Jim bicycled the 10 miles from Kutztown to where the event was, and I ended up getting a ride to their place in Kutztown. Wonderful folks.

Are the pepper and tomato festivals now held at the same time or are they separate events as they used to be?

And is the event still going on and for those interested what are the dates?
Old September 9, 2012   #3
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Yes thats the same guy Carolyn,I talked to him a bit a few years ago.The festival is held September 7th and 8th each year.Its actually held in Bowers Pa but so close to Kutztown,they say Kutztown.I will try to type the link to it.I dont know of any tomato festival there tho.You can only pick from the fields on these dates and after . Barry
Old September 9, 2012   #4
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

http://www.pepperfest.com/pepperfestival/Welcome.html
Old September 9, 2012   #5
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to add to click on field excursion for pics. Barry
Old September 9, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Barry, your link sends me to a Tabasco site with a 404 error message but that's OK.

Yes, Jim and Alma live in the big stone house on Bowers Road, or maybe one or more of their many married kids live there now, and the fields were behind the house up the hill, and the farm stand was below the house. Yes, their address is Kutztown but I know it isn't far b'c the person who took me to visit Jim asked if I wanted to go to dinner and he drove there.

Jim and I had some quality time discussing the difference between the Amish and Mennonites, he's the latter.
Old September 10, 2012   #7
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Sorry about the link not working.Yes Im glad this year,the picking field wasnt up that steep hill. If you type in search engine "Pepperfest" the link should show somewhere.I didnt see him there this year,he might have been over at the festival,as he has a stand there. Barry
Old September 10, 2012   #8
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Try this link: http://pepperfestival.com
Old July 7, 2013   #9
discoprincess
Tomatovillian™

I may have to check this out...if I can convince my boyfriend to give me a ride from Philadelphia.
discoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2013   #10
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

You will enjoy this if you go, Im sure.There are also several tomato varieties you can pick in the fields from too.