Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old August 15, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default The World's Pure Food Fair

For those in/around the Santa Rose, Ca. area or able to travel to there a National Heirloom Expo is going to be happening Sept 6, 7, and 8th.

Just came back from the mailbox and had received catalog about this heirloom expo. I wish everybody could see it. This looks to be an awesome expo.

Bits from the catalog:

"Over 4,000 varieties show-casing the diversity our planet has to offer. Including hundreds of incredible tomato varieties. Also meet the farmers who grow them.

Over 75 nationally acclaimed on-topic speakers. "

Some of the speakers that will be there are well known names to folks here at Tv and some are members. Sure would be nice to meet them in person.

This expo from the list of vendors, has just about anything and everything a person can think of and diverse topics on just about any aspect of plants and gardening you can think of.

For those able, you can contact for information on being an exhibitor or a vendor.

Amazing! Just about any veggie you can think of to include giant and colossal ones and the growers there. Garden art made from heirloom veggies. They even have competition and prizes for Dahlia's.

There foods and taste testing to try some of the world's rarest heirlooms and global gardeners.

There is a giant seed exchange Thurs the 8th at 3pm. Maybe some of you can get too.

I wish I would have known about it earlier. For those wanting to be a vendor it may not be enough time to get things together. Gonna save all my info next year to maybe participate.

Right now, I gonna find me a map and see where Santa Rosa is and see how much it would cost to fly there at least for the seed exchange and have a day to check everything out.

A one day ticket is $15. A three day pass is $30 if purchased at the gate and children are free. Doesn't say what age for kids. It is being held at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. There info on Facebook too.

Haven't gone yet, but I think that if there is a way for anybody to go, that you will enjoy it and the experience.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...70cKit0mIP-S3Q
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Wow. That certainly blows my local state fair out of the water.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Ours too. Says they have about 20,000 gardeners and that don't include the thousands of kids.

It's one of them events where you have plan to go a year in advance and drive a big van and take plenty of money to shop like crazy besides trade seed. I don't think a body could even see everything in just three days.

May be too late for this year, but there is a number to call and ask for Lisa to get vendor information for next year for heirloom growers.

Dr. Vandana Shiva an acclaimed Indian seed saver from India will be there. I didn't even realize India was into seed saving. Wonder what native heirlooms they have.
Old August 16, 2016   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I go for the coffee.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am afraid what we see about India is by far not even close to what the country is like.
These folks have been saving seeds breeding plants and into agriculture for much longer than our country has even been around.
Thousands of years.
A world super power at the very hub of world trade.
At one time it was against the law to import/smuggle cotton cloth and clothing from India to England.
If caught it was a death sentence or imprisonment.
While these folks were wearing fine cottons and silk the folks in England were forced to wear scratchy wool due to protectionism of the sheep farmers.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I go for the coffee.
Not fair Fred! I been trying to cut back on my coffee. Some interesting blends. May get some of the sampler packs to give them a try to see which ones I like, plus the blueberry jam. Looks to be good stuff.

You staying for all three days and taking your tomatoes too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I am afraid what we see about India is by far not even close to what the country is like.
These folks have been saving seeds breeding plants and into agriculture for much longer than our country has even been around.
Thousands of years.
A world super power at the very hub of world trade.
At one time it was against the law to import/smuggle cotton cloth and clothing from India to England.
If caught it was a death sentence or imprisonment.
While these folks were wearing fine cottons and silk the folks in England were forced to wear scratchy wool due to protectionism of the sheep farmers.

Worth
Your probably right Worth. Create Tv has an Indian cook on this month. Been watching it. When winter comes have to check into some of their veggies and agricultural practices.