Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old December 20, 2010   #1
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Default Any peanut growers at T'ville?

I have Black Peanut seeds from Sandhill. I didn't plant them last year because I discovered nematodes in that section of my yard. While my nematode management strategy is in progress I thought I would try the peanuts in large containers, I have 15 gal and would prefer to use what I have but can acquire 25 gal if necessary.

Anyone have any experience growing peanuts and an opinion on whether growing in containers is a viable option?

Ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Peanuts will work in containers but have to be planted far enough apart to get plenty of sun. About one peanut per square foot will do. They need fertile soil but not excessively rich, they will make most of their own nitrogen. Beware of birds and mice, both love to eat newly emerged peanut plants. Water regularly but don't flood them, they don't like wet roots. As long as water is available, peanuts thrive on heat and full sun.

The black peanuts from Sandhill are shorter season than most other peanuts. They regularly make a crop even as far north as New Hampshire.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2010   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Most of the peanuts grown down here are grown in sandy well drained soil.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2010   #4
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks DarJones,
I am definitely going to go ahead and try them in containers. I think I remember reading that you supplied Sandhill with the Black Peanut seeds. Out of curiosity I shelled one and the dark skin is really very striking. My season is long and hot , but low humidity, as long as they don't require humidity they should love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Most of the peanuts grown down here are grown in sandy well drained soil.

Worth
Alas, my nematodes seem to favor the very same conditions!
Old December 22, 2010   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Ginny,

For good growing, peanuts need calcium in the soil. An internet search (peanut gypsum) will provide alot of info.

I start peanuts indoors, and then transplant after the last frost. By the end of August the squirrels are starting their harvest. The variety "Tennessee Red" did the best, for me (and the squirrels).

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

To repeat what someone else has said peanuts like sandy soil so add a fair amount of plain old sand to your growing mix. They can survive with very little water but need some regular water when they reach the stage where they start pegging down to form the peanuts. Down here they need spraying to prevent leaf diseases that will drastically reduce their production. Peanuts are the main cash crop down here and have been for many years and rather easy to come by so I have never used my garden space for growing them. I have had some volunteers that did pretty good with no care at all.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010   #7
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

I start peanuts indoors, and then transplant after the last frost. By the end of August the squirrels are starting their harvest. The variety "Tennessee Red" did the best, for me (and the squirrels).

Gary[/quote]

Unbeknownst to him, I am giving my husband a slingshot for Christmas.

As far as I know CA is not known for it's peanuts although there is one farmer at the local farmer's market who grows them. However I find them intriguing so I plan to give it a try. Leaf diseases are not a major problem here, too dry, but I will probably give them the simple regimen I give to the tomatoes.
Yeah, I have been thinking about peanuts preference for sandy soil, and whether I should amend my usual potting mix (well composted horse stable stuff mixed with homemade compost) with sand. Lacking my preferred in ground spot I will have to make do with what I have.

Ginny
Old December 23, 2010   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just to set the story strait mostly due to an argument I had at work a while back.
The peanut is from the Americas NOT Africa. It is just one of the many food crops we can give this great place we call the (New World) for.

The peanut has been found by archeologists that date back some 7,600 years.

And for the beginner or just for the fun of it you can get the raw peanuts from the store and plant them. They will sprout just fine.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Giving out false information on peanuts now Worth?

The advice about gypsum is worth(is this a pun?) noting but be careful if your soil is alkaline to start with. The advice about sand is good because it helps peanuts make healthy hulls.

DarJones
Old December 23, 2010   #10
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

What kind of yield can you expect from peanuts - i.e. how many plants for a decent home harvest?
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2010   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

That depends on how much you like peanuts. A row of peanuts 50 feet long produces about 2 or 3 gallons of dried peanuts if given excellent care in a good location.

DarJones
Old December 28, 2010   #12
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

If you raise hogs or chickens, you cannot have too many peanuts.
A great source of protein to stretch your feed budget.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote