Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 3, 2017   #301
Don S
Tomatovillian™

Thank all you recent posters for your prompt and detailed responses, which were very helpful. As I said, I am aware that performance is affected by regional or climate differences and that taste is personal, but these favorable reports have convinced me to try DB next year. I hope to hear more about it as your fruits ripen.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #302
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

This is the second year growing D. Burson. Trouble free, productive and tasty. It's open growth habit lends well to many support methods. I'm growing in a smaller size CRW cage. It has loaded up the cage yet has zero disease issues. This plant will easily make 30 - 40 lbs. No fertilizer and no additional water.

If you want a tomato with a bit more of a bite, you might consider growing Daniels. It is a parent of D. Burson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0705.jpg (436.5 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0704.jpg (384.5 KB, 272 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #303
imp
Tomatovillian™

Daniel Burson is on my to grow list for next year as one of my "bigs" since it does not often make ugly butt and is tasty.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #304
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Can u explain what is "ugly butt"??
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #305
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
This is the second year growing D. Burson. Trouble free, productive and tasty. It's open growth habit lends well to many support methods. I'm growing in a smaller size CRW cage. It has loaded up the cage yet has zero disease issues. This plant will easily make 30 - 40 lbs. No fertilizer and no additional water.

If you want a tomato with a bit more of a bite, you might consider growing Daniels. It is a parent of D. Burson.
And do you remember what the other parent was,on the Burson side?

I sure do.

Carolyn
Old August 3, 2017   #306
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
And do you remember what the other parent was,on the Burson side?

I sure do.

Carolyn
I know. It is quite tasty too!
Old August 3, 2017   #307
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

To me ugly butt would mean a gnarly looking blossom end. Just a guess.This tomato usually has a small belly button on the end. It's a really good looking fruit.
The other parent would be Indian Stripe. That's a pretty good bloodline.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #308
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
To me ugly butt would mean a gnarly looking blossom end. Just a guess.This tomato usually has a small belly button on the end. It's a really good looking fruit.
The other parent would be Indian Stripe. That's a pretty good bloodline.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Ugly butt are those with deep pits and such, makes the bottom of the tomato unfit to eat.
Old August 4, 2017   #309
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mine were all deformed on the bottom. Could have been heat related. Not really sure, but it was the only variety I've grown where almost all of them were like that. From reviews it seems to like the northern climate better. Also seems my experience was an anomaly.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #310
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

We had a very warm couple of weeks and the DBs picked this week were deformed on the bottom unlike those first ten or so harvested. They still have nice flavor.
Old August 7, 2017   #311
charley
Tomatovillian™

I grew it this year and it was productive and out lived everything in the garden in fact it still had little green tomatoes on it when i pulled it.but to me the flavor was just ok.i liked big cheef better.but in its defense cherokee green and others just didnt do well in the flavor category so i will grow again next year
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #312
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Just came across this thread. I grew two Daniel Burson plants this year (Spring 2017) in Dallas, TX and they did wonderfully. It was a heavy producer even into the heat of summer. Relatively resistant to disease. Nothing usually lasts much past the middle of July here, but it was still cranking out the fruit all the way to the end. Highly recommended!
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #313
imp
Tomatovillian™

Oh look, txtstorm has a girl for the little tomato guy in the logo!
Old May 9, 2018   #314
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Hello all. In potting up my seedlings two weeks ago I discovered a RL plant amongst my Daniel Bursons. Of the six seeds I sowed, five came up: four PL, one RL.

My seed source was Heritage Seed Market, which notes that RLs of the plant should not be grown out... which tells me this has happened before with their seed stock. Not that I'm complaining, I kind of like it when this happens. It's a fun surprise!

Anyway, I read this thread again, and some of the posts indicate this has happened on occasion with DB.

Heritage Seed notes on their description that they have grown out an RL version along side the true PL plant and found the taste to be the same.

Since I cannot resist it, I think I am going to grow out my "Not Daniel Burson RL" and see what happens. Even if it is a stray seed in the pack, my experience with these gifts from the gardening Gods is the mystery plant is usually delightful.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2018   #315
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Hello all. In potting up my seedlings two weeks ago I discovered a RL plant amongst my Daniel Bursons. Of the six seeds I sowed, five came up: four PL, one RL.

My seed source was Heritage Seed Market, which notes that RLs of the plant should not be grown out... which tells me this has happened before with their seed stock. Not that I'm complaining, I kind of like it when this happens. It's a fun surprise!

Anyway, I read this thread again, and some of the posts indicate this has happened on occasion with DB.

Heritage Seed notes on their description that they have grown out an RL version along side the true PL plant and found the taste to be the same.

Since I cannot resist it, I think I am going to grow out my "Not Daniel Burson RL" and see what happens. Even if it is a stray seed in the pack, my experience with these gifts from the gardening Gods is the mystery plant is usually delightful.
For all of you interested in the variety Daniel Burson,please read this link where Bill Jeffers discusses it and how it was found ,it was the result of an accidental Cross pollination between Daniels and Indian Stripe PL

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18077

Please don't call it Not Daniel Burson RL and why, well we've already got the variety...Not Purple Strawberry.Besides that,I'm one who tries to never send out seeds that don't conform to the original description.It does happen though. I put up a thread here recently, asking folks to compare their 2017 SSE Yearbook with the 2018 one. Many SSE members posted and were very upset since there was no chain of info saying, as it used to say for each variety,now I'm making this up;

Originally described by Dot Gran in 1996, seeds to Twinkle in 1998, seeds listed by Robert in 2000, seeds to Yolanda in 2002, now listed as below, etc,seeds a. And why is that important? Since down thru that chain someone might list it as X,when it should be Y ,to wit, that's how wrong varieties get passed around.

To my right here by the computer I have several large packs of Daniel Burson,labeled mix, 2013 , Sent to me by Bill Jeffers, which are still germinating very well, and yes, a few packs of Not Purple Strawberry as well, in between some Sgt Pepper Seeds and Reinhard's Green Heart seeds.

Carolyn, who also notes that none of the above are up for adoption.