Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old September 15, 2012   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default 2012 bean review

I grew about 20 varieties of beans this year, mostly pole beans, and I eat most of those as snap beans. I started with about 24 seeds of each, except for a few varieties I got from a local seed bank (3 seeds each) or saved seeds that were in short supply. I had a good crop, but they all seem to be taking a break in production. I enjoyed them all. [The ones that make it to the kitchen all get cooked together -- about a minute in boiling water -- so my comments on flavor are mostly about raw beans.] Here are some random notes.

4 types of purple-podded beans
-- Purple Peacock had the best flavor of the purples [added: when eaten raw], and produced a lot for the number of seeds planted.
-- Blue Coco was a very close second, and was also prolific. And then it just stopped. I pulled the yellowing leaves and I've noticed new leaves growing at the base of the vines. My source: a pound of dry beans from the farmers' market.
-- Purple Podded Pole and Trionfo Violetto were good, but not as outstanding as the other two.

Scarlet Runner Beans: this one came back from last year's root. The single plant has been hugely productive -- much more than last year's 4 plants combined. I pick them fairly young, around the size of regular string beans. Not good raw.

favorites for eating raw in the garden
-- La Vigneronne continues to be a favorite because I like to eat them in the garden and it has a sweet flavor eaten raw. [Rarely makes it to the kitchen!]
-- Helda Romano is the sweetest (raw) romano I've grown. [Like most romanos, very tender as a cooked bean.]
-- Blue Coco and Purple Peacock were also great raw.
-- Waterloo County Mennonite stands out because it stays good and crunchy [and tasty] even when it gets very large, halfway to producing seed.

Less productive ones/ fewer plants
-- Rattlesnake, surprisingly, produced smaller beans and stopped producing earlier than the others.
-- McCaslan 42 didn't get a fair trial because it was shaded by tomatoes. This year's beans (from saved seed) were twice the size of last year's, though.
-- Yellow Pole Wax was not a vigorous variety. The beans were small and plumped up quickly, and the color was not as yellow as I expected.
-- Kentucky Wonder was outcompeted by a volunteer amaranth, so it started late. I'm still getting a couple beans a day.
-- Chinese Long Bean has produced maybe a half-dozen beans so far, and it looks like I'll get at least that many more. But it's not really hot enough here for it, and my garden gets afternoon shade.
-- Cascade Giant was a disappointment. I wanted to like this one a lot more. But it was also shaded by tomatoes.
-- Climbing French was ok and is still producing a little.
-- Sultan's Green Crescent was an outstanding cooked bean. With only a minute or two of cooking, it gets that tender, sort of slimy (in a good way) coating and succulent flavor that romano beans sometimes get. I'm letting at least half a dozen go to seed -- I've learned to stop picking early in the season if it's a bean I love and want to grow again.

Still Waiting
-- Christmas Lima is producing the most beautiful large pods, but so far no bean bumps on them.
-- Brockton Horticultural, only one plant survived, and it's still working on its first beans. This is supposed to be a dry bean, so all I'm hoping for is something I can plant next time. Also, the sunflowers are outcompeting Brockton and Jembo.
-- Jembo Polish, most of my saved seeds did not germinate because they were not dry enough before I stored them. My one surviving plant is struggling. Last year it was a vigorous variety, but it wasn't good raw and I had limited kitchen facilities so I let it go to seed. I wanted to compare it to other varieties as a cooked snap bean this year since Remy likes it so much. Next time I will plant my purchased seeds!
-- Red Noodle still has not set its first bean. Not hot enough.
-- Gila River Pole Bean, another one I got as a dry bean at the farmers' market, has not produced any beans. Or maybe it has? It's on the same structure as Blue Lake, and I assumed they'd look different. Google has not revealed any info on this bean.

Bush Beans
-- Anasazi, I've just picked the first dry pods. I planted beans I bought at Whole Foods! I haven't tried these as a snap bean. [not good raw]

Last edited by habitat_gardener; September 16, 2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: clarified raw vs. cooked comments
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Interesting review, thanks! I grew Rattlesnake and Chinese Red Noodle for the first time this year. Both were planted later in the season than they should have been, but I got beans from both. The CRN beans were very slow to grow, but sure have an interesting arrangement, such different leaves, with the two pods per flower stem. I liked them in stir fries, nice flavor, but just about the time the main crop of pods were growing out, the leaves began to yellow and crumble, despite extra water and fert. Not sure if it was disease or just dried out too much in our drought while I was away from home. I am letting the existing beans dry on the vine for seed, so produced only enough for a few meals.

The Rattlesnake produced well, but since it was planted later than my other beans, I was "beaned out" by my overflow of Fortex and various bush beans, no more room in the freezer, so what I didn't give away, was also let to go to seed. I know I must have eaten some, but honestly don't remember how I rated them.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Planted 3 types this year. Blue Lake Bush, White Half Runner, and Rattlesnake Pole Bean.

From a 20 foot row of White Half Runners, We got just about a bushel. Taste was amazing when cooked using salt pork (it's a tradition in my family).

From a 30 row of Rattlesnake Beans, we got a bushel and a half. Again, the taste was superb when cooked with some salt pork. We also did one pot with the bone from a smoked ham (Smithfield), and my brother kept going back for more.

The Blue Lake Bush Beans were phenomenal. The seed came from the local Co-op. I planted two rows, one 85 feet and one 75 feet. I set up each row with two parallel furrows about 8 inches apart. We got just over 10 bushels. I canned 84 quarts, froze 24 one gallon packages, and still gave away over 3 bushels. The production was more than I had ever seen. I tried to pick them as they came mature, but there was more of them than I could handle. I ended up pulling the vines and stripping the beans off under the shade of our big pine tree.

This super harvest allowed me to experience something totally unique. It was the first time ever that my neighbors were saying that they had all they could use. Now, I do try my best to take care of family. At least half of what I canned and froze will be given out to members of my family as they want them. After all, that's what it's all about. Don'tcha think??????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0073.jpg (633.7 KB, 116 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your review, habitat_gardener! I grew quite a few pole bean varieties this year as I just started trying them recently. Rattlesnake was my favorite last year and again this year, but it produced more last season. In my case it could have been a location/shade/water-related issue, so I'll definitely be growing them again.

You mentioned sweet taste when raw- did you notice that any of the beans retained any sweetness after steaming/cooking?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, I was wondering if you (or anyone else) has a favorite pole bean for canning? I'm toying with the idea of getting a pressure canner but I'm thinking that maybe bush beans might be better for that because of the way they ripen and because I don't plant more than 15' of pole beans. Provider has been my favorite bush bean despite many years of trials and I did read that it's good for canning and freezing.

Thanks!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #5
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Planted 3 types this year. Blue Lake Bush, White Half Runner, and Rattlesnake Pole Bean.

From a 20 foot row of White Half Runners, We got just about a bushel. Taste was amazing when cooked using salt pork (it's a tradition in my family).
Ted, I am curious about White Half Runner beans. I'm guessing half runner means they throw runners of some length, do they need support? And eating them with salt pork, are they in the green snap stage, or shelled out? Being from the North, I don't know anything about them, but you made them sound very good....
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, they ARE very good. In the picture above, the beans on the left between the taller poles are the Half Runners. I put in some metal "T" poles and then strung some cord between for support for the vines. Folks around here call them "White Half Runners" because when they get ripe enough to produce "shellies", the mature bean is pure white. Uncoated seed is also white. There's some others that are darker colors (I am told).

We get a small package of salt pork from the grocery and put about half a package into what we call a "mess of beans" when they are cooked. Now, a "mess" is usually enough to have a meal (with seconds) on the first go around and then at least two leftover adventures. Using the salt pork really means that you need no other seasonings - perhaps some additional salt to taste. The little bit of fat softens and flavors everything and contributes to a dark "rue" that fills the pot. It is aromatic and makes the whole house smell like "good cooking". Sometimes we throw a few small new potatoes into the pot to add another dimension. This is southern comfort food I grew up with.

Some folks let them ripen longer, but we like all of our green beans with just the snapped bean - no shellies. Blue Lakes have no strings. Half Runners and Rattlesnake beans have that string that must be removed during the "snapping".

For those who don't know, most of the green beans you get in a can at the grocery are Blue Lake variety. There are a few other stringless varieties that are used, but most are Blue Lake. They're just easier for the commercial canning processes (no strings).

So, in the end, you can harvest your beans early and use them as only snap beans. Or, you can wait a little longer and have both snaps and shellies. Pinto beans are a good example of beans which are "shellies only". But, they can also be harvested early as snap beans.

Some other beans that have done well and tasted good here at the Muddy Bucket Farm are Turkey Craw, Greasy Beans, and Peanut Beans. All three have "strings" to remove, but taste really good when you use salt pork.

When I pressure can any of these, I blanch them and then load the jars with a teaspoon of canning salt. When the cans are opened, I can still put a small piece of bacon in the pot and get the "salt pork" flavors stirring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleone View Post
Ted, I am curious about White Half Runner beans. I'm guessing half runner means they throw runners of some length, do they need support? And eating them with salt pork, are they in the green snap stage, or shelled out? Being from the North, I don't know anything about them, but you made them sound very good....
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old September 15, 2012   #7
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

It has been a very dry year here in Iowa and I have not watered thus all of my legumes are quite a bit behind. Now it is a race to the first frost for all of my seed saving efforts, I think it is going to be close.
  • My snap bush beans(Empress, Cherokee Wax) have produced very well this year for fresh eating.
  • My snap pole beans(Migliorucci,Landfrauen,Nell's Climbing, Bosnian Yellow Pod) are behind this season and just starting to produce.
  • My dry bush beans(Hutterite,Dr Wyches Russian) are on track, other than a tiller incident earlier in the season.
  • My surprise bush cowpea(Biwa Sitter), from the regional meskwaki tribe is doing quite well. I thought this would be a dry bush bean when planted.
  • My bush cowpea(Purple Hull) are drying quite well and as always has been a great cowpea here in Iowa for me.
  • A few more I will talk about later.

Looking forward to hear about everyone's results.

thanks,
Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
...You mentioned sweet taste when raw- did you notice that any of the beans retained any sweetness after steaming/cooking?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, I was wondering if you (or anyone else) has a favorite pole bean for canning?...
I cooked them all together, so I haven't been paying attention to the cooked flavors. Sultan's Green Crescent stood out because of the shape, though. I just ate some cooked beans and noticed that the yellow beans had a little more sweetness than the others. Oh, and also, some of the ones that I like to eat in the garden never make it to the kitchen.

I haven't (ever) canned any beans.
Old September 16, 2012   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Curious as to why you've never canned them. Canning is so easy and you get that summer freshness in winter and spring.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old September 16, 2012   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I cooked them all together, so I haven't been paying attention to the cooked flavors. Sultan's Green Crescent stood out because of the shape, though. I just ate some cooked beans and noticed that the yellow beans had a little more sweetness than the others. Oh, and also, some of the ones that I like to eat in the garden never make it to the kitchen.

Thanks for your feedback, habitat_gardener and Ted. Renee's sells a pole bean mix of Purple Peacock, Blue Lake and Yellow Pole(?) so I may try that next year based on what was said about the sweetness of the yellow beans and what about the popularity of Blue Lake for canning. I must be harvesting my Rattlesnakes early because I never noticed strings on them but the fact that Blue Lake doesn't have any is a plus.

I haven't fully committed to the idea of a pressure canner yet because I don't really care for the taste of canned veggies. To me, the flavor of canned beans doesn't come close to steamed fresh beans and DH says canned beans (or peas or corn) taste like completely different veggies altogether. But we don't have room in the freezers for all the veggies we need for the year and we don't have good long term storage for things like potatoes and beets either. The goal is to provide as much of our food from the garden as possible.
Old September 16, 2012   #11
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
...Renee's sells a pole bean mix of Purple Peacock, Blue Lake and Yellow Pole(?) ...
That's the one I used for the Purple Peacock and Yellow Pole. I planted the YP only because the seeds weren't labeled and I really wanted to try the PP. I didn't plant the Blue Lake (I rechecked my notes), but it looks like people who are recommending them for canning planted the bush variety.

I dehydrated some of the runner beans when I was picking 50 at a time. I thought I'd save them for the winter and add them to lentil stews. They don't look appetizing, but they make a nice snack, and I hope they last until winter! I blanched them first.

I don't eat canned vegs either, and I wouldn't have a place to store them anyway.
Old September 16, 2012   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That's the one I used for the Purple Peacock and Yellow Pole. I planted the YP only because the seeds weren't labeled and I really wanted to try the PP. I didn't plant the Blue Lake (I rechecked my notes), but it looks like people who are recommending them for canning planted the bush variety.

I dehydrated some of the runner beans when I was picking 50 at a time. I thought I'd save them for the winter and add them to lentil stews. They don't look appetizing, but they make a nice snack, and I hope they last until winter! I blanched them first.

I don't eat canned vegs either, and I wouldn't have a place to store them anyway.
Oh, yeah- that makes more sense for canning- forgot about the bush form of Blue Lake. Maybe I'll just dehydrate more of them because they are good in veggie soups and stews and store in less space. How long do you store your dried foods before you notice a difference in taste? I just got a dehydrator last year so I don't have much experience with that yet. Dried fruits=snacks for me/dried veggies=not so much. Zucchini chips with a dip I can do though.
Old September 16, 2012   #13
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I tried zucchini, but they absorb water from the atmosphere so easily that although they came out of the dehydrator as "chips," they didn't stay crisp. I ended up storing them in the refrigerator and just eating them with my tomato sandwiches. I'd dehydrate zucchini again if I wanted to use them as tortilla substitutes for roll-up sandwiches or hors d'oeuvres.

I got the dehydrator last year and did only blood oranges last year. So I have 2 weeks' experience dehydrating vegetables. I think that, like most foods, they'll last longer if stored in mason jars (or jars with equally tight caps). My beans, stored in a plastic container, already seem to be less crisp.
Old September 16, 2012   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I tried zucchini, but they absorb water from the atmosphere so easily that although they came out of the dehydrator as "chips," they didn't stay crisp. I ended up storing them in the refrigerator and just eating them with my tomato sandwiches. I'd dehydrate zucchini again if I wanted to use them as tortilla substitutes for roll-up sandwiches or hors d'oeuvres.

I got the dehydrator last year and did only blood oranges last year. So I have 2 weeks' experience dehydrating vegetables. I think that, like most foods, they'll last longer if stored in mason jars (or jars with equally tight caps). My beans, stored in a plastic container, already seem to be less crisp.
Plastic containers or lids do seem to 'breathe' so I used glass jars with metal lids that I can vacuum seal with an attachment to a Foodsaver machine and it seems to be working well.
Old September 26, 2012   #15
loeb
Tomatovillian™

I'm using just glass jars with metal lids. It's working ok for fruits, beans, spices and vegetables..
Great review habitat_gardener, especially "raw" part. Do you save your own bean seeds ?
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote