Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old June 27, 2013   #1
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Default Ever heard of fall beans- grape bean?

I ordered from Sand Hill Preservation for the first time, and on impulse I ordered the last available type of fall bean they had called grape bean. I thought they would have planting information on the packet, but they were blank. I can't really find any sure information on WHEN TO plant them.

I am hoping I can plant them late this summer and have beans in the fall. Do I have to plant them now? Some sites say to plant them like any other green bean, but SHP website description describes them as being a bean, mountain people used to have in the fall.

Help!

Lindsey
linzelu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #2
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm nobody out there know?
Old June 27, 2013   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
2013 Fall Beans
This is a special group of heirloom beans from Appalachia. They are usually pole beans used as a "string" bean, green shell bean and dry shell bean. Characteristics are shiny, round seeds.

Grape: 90 days (to dry stage). Vigorous climber, small, very round, purple seed. Heirloom from Magoffin County, KY. 1 oz. Pkt. - 1 Pkt./$3.50 (Limit 1 Pkt.) OG
Is this them?

I looked around for some information on "appalachian fall beans" and found some pages, but like all beans, it's confusing as all get out. "These beans are great for fall! Plant them after danger of frost!"

I would sow a couple and see what happens.

eta. it looks like they are also called "October beans".

Last edited by tlintx; June 27, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2013   #4
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Yes that is them! They are confusing. I read the same thing about planting after danger of frost, but I am wondering why they are called fall beans and put in a special category, if you plant them like regular beans and eat them like regular beans. Weird right?
Old June 28, 2013   #5
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

From researching October beans/Appalachian beans. I think that the region is fairly small and not particularly interested in putting information on the internet.

But what I gleaned is that Fall beans are often family heirlooms, sometimes thought not as tender as more standard beans, and can be used from small as green beans to shelled fresh to left on the plant until dry in October and then stored for winter.

I would plant a few four months before frost and see how they do over the summer/fall. Only investment is a couple of seeds, and you might get enough beans for a salad or soup. Then you can report back in this thread and the next person looking will have much more information.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #6
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Fall beans are an appalachian bean. The seed is more round in shape . They can be grown at any time during the season. most are best suited as a fresh shelly bean. they are several bush types but most are pole and there are some that can be used as a snap bean. I have grown several varieties of Fall beans,The biggest diffenece is the seed shape round and plump vice kidney shaped. the seed comes in many colors solid red browns white to speckeled and striped and some with eyes. They are mainly used as a fresh shelly bean and usually planted as a fall crop. Most cutshorts and greasy beans do well in cool weather so they were early spring planted and dried for winter storage(leather Britches) corn field beans were planted for summer in the corn when the corn was about a 1ft tall. some of these beans can be tough when mature so best picked when young and tender then fall or Oct beans planted late summer for fresh shelly beans when the weather cooled just before frost. I always look forward to a crisp fall night and picking the red striped fall beans in the shelly stage then cook with some bacon. Bill best at Heirlooms.org has some pictures and good info on Fall beans. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #7
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Yes! Thank you Rodger! This is the info I was looking for!
Old July 2, 2013   #8
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Rodger, I like the beans and tomatoes offered @ Heirlooms.org and want to order some, but can't find anything on them in the watchdog database. Have you bought seeds there before? I don't want to get burned like I have in the past.
Old July 10, 2013   #9
rodger
Tomatovillian™

I am good friends with Bill Best I go to his house every year for a seed swap. He will do you right. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #10
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodger View Post
I am good friends with Bill Best I go to his house every year for a seed swap. He will do you right. Rodger
Thanks