Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 10, 2017   #166
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Products we are happy with (good finds)

If I were doing batches that were large enough to need an hour or so to strain, I would invest in a dedicated electric food mill.

The six quart +/- batch I did yesterday took about 15-20 minutes to run through including running the discards through a second time. I will not be doing any batches larger than that at one time.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #167
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
If I were doing batches that were large enough to need an hour or so to strain, I would invest in a dedicated electric food mill.

The six quart +/- batch I did yesterday took about 15-20 minutes to run through including running the discards through a second time. I will not be doing any batches larger than that at one time.
That's exactly what I did. It eats tomatoes way faster than the Kitchenaid and does not drip additional ingredients into the sauce. However it does not get much use. It is hard to justify the work when I can get delicious organic tomato sauce on sale for about two bucks a quart. Now I just grow for fresh eating and giving away. Maybe I am just getting lazy
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #168
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I've been using my vitamix for sauce. I deseed all the tomatoes and blend in the vitamix real good. I cook it up and I get great sauce that way.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #169
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This cheap Ryobi 4 volt battery operated screwdriver has more than paid for itself in not only time to run up long machine screws but also wear and tear on my wrists and elbows.
It doesn't drive in wood screws but it does a fantastic job for what it was meant for.
The multi Milwaukee screwdriver is a good deal too for I think under ten bucks.
I think I paid seven something on sale.
I use it to tighten wire lugs and other things.

IMG_20171013_40627.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017   #170
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

(((((((((Warning)))))))))))

If you buy the long Phillips drivers to go in your drill to run up screws dont get the Dewalt brand.
Or at least in my experience.
Get the Bosch instead.

The last ones I have bought are bowed and I have had to make them straight to use them.
This isn't easy without equipment to do it.
Try to run up a screw with a bowed drill driver it will drive you nuts.
Worth
Old October 19, 2017   #171
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

On the non gardening tools side , I have an angle grinder that I use in my wood working projects. I have a chainsaw for it that fits on it just like grinding disk. I do carving , hollowing things with it.
This and a WORX tool are very handy and dandy.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017   #172
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we have a colander that my wife purchased from some garage sale a few years ago. this isn't your ordinary drain your pasta in the sink colander, oh no. this sucker is big, won't even fit in the sink. i would guess it would hold 5 gallons or so if it didn't have holes. i don't know why my wife bought it, and it sat downstairs unused.
i now have a good use for it. it works great for separating seeds from chaff. last year when i harvested 3lbs of collard green seeds, most of which i still have by the way, after stuffing the seed stalks in empty chicken feed bags and stomping on them, i poured everything into the colander with a bag underneath it. the seeds went out the holes, and the chaff stayed inside. it worked out well.

today i used the colander to clean seeds from way over ripe squash. i sprayed the mess with a vigorous stream of water. i picked out big chunks that wouldn't fit through the holes along with the stringy stuff, and kept blasting until i had a clean batch of seeds.
again, it worked well.

i am still wondering what to do with the ringer washer my wife picked up a few years ago.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #173
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post

i am still wondering what to do with the ringer washer my wife picked up a few years ago.

keith
use it to wash really dirty clothes. or better yet... carrots, or potatoes or any root crop. that was all we had growing up. it takes far less time to wash a load of clothes in a wringer washer than an automatic one. I honestly wish I had one.
Old October 23, 2017   #174
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We had one for years too.
I had no idea what an automatic washing machine was for some time.
You have to be careful with the buttons that was my job.
Worth
Old October 23, 2017   #175
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
use it to wash really dirty clothes. or better yet... carrots, or potatoes or any root crop. that was all we had growing up. it takes far less time to wash a load of clothes in a wringer washer than an automatic one. I honestly wish I had one.
Me, too. Easier on the clothes and does a great job. Folding the zippers and buttons in saves repairs.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2017   #176
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone have the simply fit board?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017   #177
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
we have a colander that my wife purchased from some garage sale a few years ago. this isn't your ordinary drain your pasta in the sink colander, oh no. this sucker is big, won't even fit in the sink. i would guess it would hold 5 gallons or so if it didn't have holes. i don't know why my wife bought it, and it sat downstairs unused.
i now have a good use for it. it works great for separating seeds from chaff. last year when i harvested 3lbs of collard green seeds, most of which i still have by the way, after stuffing the seed stalks in empty chicken feed bags and stomping on them, i poured everything into the colander with a bag underneath it. the seeds went out the holes, and the chaff stayed inside. it worked out well.

today i used the colander to clean seeds from way over ripe squash. i sprayed the mess with a vigorous stream of water. i picked out big chunks that wouldn't fit through the holes along with the stringy stuff, and kept blasting until i had a clean batch of seeds.
again, it worked well.

keith
Great idea!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017   #178
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Benzoin compound. forms an almost elastic like bandaid keeping dirt, germs and moisture off of your scrapes cuts and especially the hangnails.
Old November 21, 2017   #179
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Benzoin compound. forms an almost elastic like bandaid keeping dirt, germs and moisture off of your scrapes cuts and especially the hangnails.

Great idea. Where do you find it OTC?
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2017   #180
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

IMG_20171121_152101.jpg
This is what my bottle looks like. Maybe in the oral care section as it is used for mouth sores too. I found mine in an odd ball place.not a regular store... Kind of like a resale but of new things not used. More like a scratch and dent place.
I really bought it because it is also used by the doctors office to help adhere steri strips in place. it acts like a primer.