Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 3, 2017   #121
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a New Orleans cemetery sort of.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #122
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bio and Marsha, I agree with both of you. RKN is easier to fight than I made it out to be in this thread. I pulled plants this year that showed little to no signs of RKN. The methods I used did fight off the RKN for the most part.

What killed and stunted my plants was Fusarium Wilt race 3. I don't see an answer for it trying to grow in ground. However, the way Marsha is growing her plants may work for me too? It takes money, and the money we have has been redirected to raising children again. No matter what life throws at you - do the best you can and improve on it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #123
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Salt you can get a basic Earthbox system for $32.95, or off you buy 3, it's $29.95 each.(you have to MAKE or buy your own potting mix) The box plastic does not degrade in sunlight, or otherwise break down, holds up to my lawn man's weed eater really perfectly. So you only spend it once, and they are getting 30+ years out of them. They are quite cost effective over time. Just buy one to three at a time. Little by little you will get there. That's what I did.
No Fusarium of any race, no nematodes, never.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #124
Bio-Ag-Guy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Nice looking crop Bio. I just think amending the soil is too much work for the amount of time my plants will stay alive in it. My containers are just easier because I can put a barrier between my pot contents and the nematodes, and with the barrier I can get a 9 month season instead if a 3-4 month one that I would get with them in the ground. Plus the pots have a water reservoir. I don't want nematodes so I physically block them. For me easy peasy.
I am not sure what the attraction of growing in sand is. Soil I have to MAKE good with years of amendments? That's just not for me.
Thanks Marsha!
Call me old school, I like growing food in the ground as opposed to container gardening. However, I did recently build a raised bed on legs, about waist high, for strawberries. So maybe it will take, you never know.

No attraction to growing anything in sand, the point was that is what I started with. Lol.

I have looked at the pics of your earthbox system before, and I am impressed with the production you get. I saw all kinds of wonderful tomatoes and they looked beautiful!

You are definitely right about the length of season, I get about 4 months before the tomato plants start to die off.

But tomatoes aren't the only thing I grow. My entire back yard is being utilized for growing one thing or another. If I couldn't get tomatoes to grow in the ground sufficiently, I would use that space to grow something else. So far, that isn't the case. Last season I made and froze 6 gal. of sauce, ate tomatoes on everything for a couple of months, and supplied friends and neighbors with more than enough.

I call that a successful season!
Bio-Ag-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #125
Bio-Ag-Guy
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic of the raised-raised bed. Obviously not finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170204_064435.jpg (492.0 KB, 95 views)
Bio-Ag-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #126
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I was reading about Mustard greens and thought of you when it mentioned Mustards for a cover crop to till on the soil for Nematodes. I don't know if someone already mentioned it but here's the part about cover crops.

Growing Mustard as a Cover Crop

A few weeks ago, one of the last things I did before leaving on vacation was to sow mustard in the beds where I had just harvested spring carrots and early potatoes. Less than a month later the beds are wall-to-wall mustard greens, with hardly a weed in sight. When sown in late summer, mustard grows so vigorously that weeds are smothered into submission.

Rather than eat all those mustard greens, I will chop them up using a sharp lawn edger, and then quickly turn them under using a digging fork. Numerous studies have shown that live mustard plant tissues, both seeds and roots, contain compounds that work as soil biofumigants by killing nematodes and pathogenic fungi. Reaping this benefit requires handling mustard like a green manure, because the beneficial compounds are released within hours after the plants are chopped down. But if you wait two weeks after turning under chopped mustard and then plant lettuce, you can expect a very productive crop with very few weeds.

Potato and vegetable farmers have begun using special mustard varieties as part of their rotation practices to suppress weeds and diseases. The method involves planting selected strains of mustard bred to produce high levels of glucosinolates in spring, and quickly chopping them up and turning them under in summer, when they reach full bloom. Used this way, mustard has a cleansing effect on soils that are carrying heavy pathogen loads. Mustard varieties to try for this purpose include Caliente, IdaGold and Kodiak.

https://www.growveg.com/guides/the-b...owing-mustard/

http://www.mightymustard.com/why-biofumagant
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #127
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Mustard is a super food and plant.
Worth
Old November 9, 2017   #128
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We love Mustard Greens, and they grow well here.
Old November 9, 2017   #129
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
We love Mustard Greens, and they grow well here.
To add ZEST to a salad add some raw to it.

Worth
Old November 11, 2017   #130
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I really like mustard greens in a salad. We tried turnip green in salads, but I guess that's more of an acquired taste.
Old November 11, 2017   #131
bower
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I don't think it's common to eat turnip greens in salad. Turnip greens need to be boiled or steamed for 5-10 minutes, then serve with a dollop of mustard. Pairs well with salty meats.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #132
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pre simmered and deep fried salted fat back or pork on the side.
Old November 11, 2017   #133
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Cook them down with some smoked neck bones and onions to make a good pot liquor then remove all the meat and serve with a spicy vinegar. YUM!!!
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #134
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

This is one year after I covered with woodchips. One of the plant I bought from a local nursery, been transplanted for a month and a half. I decided to rip it off because it contain septoria or something like that. Otherwise all of the plants in my raised beds have much less diseased leaves than the container ones. The RKN are still there, just less.

If I can get my hand on more free woodchips I will break off all the raised beds borders which will allow more room for walking and I'm able to readjust the trellises to add an extra row.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20171206 (1).JPG (646.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg img_20171206 (2).JPG (548.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg img_20171207 (16).JPG (662.2 KB, 37 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #135
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Max, I think you might be on to something. Do you know what kind of wood?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote