Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old June 28, 2007   #1
geraniumgirl
Tomatovillian™

Default green beans

My rattlesnake pole beans produced copious amounts of beans for about three weeks,then stopped. Is this theend of the season for them? The vines are lush and beautiful. The weather did turn very hot briefly. I notice flowers again. Will I get lots of green beans, or do I take the vines out
geraniumgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #2
jhp
Tomatovillian™

If it were me, and I saw flowers, I'd leave them. Won't be long before you find out for sure.

I am by no means an expert in beans.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

For bush beans (determinate):

You'll get one big crop, and then a dwindling smaller crop. If you want to have a continuous crop, you need to do staggered planting every 2-3 weeks. Hotter temperatures have resulted in tougher, fewer beans at least in my garden.

For pole beans (indeterminate):

You'll get a couple of large crops and a continuing crop over the rest of the season.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]

Last edited by feldon30; June 30, 2007 at 11:17 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #4
geraniumgirl
Tomatovillian™

thanks. not a single book i looked at told me how long the vines would produce beans! i'll leave them for a while longer until they stop producing,then plant something else---maybe i should stick to tomatoes!
geraniumgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Rattlesnake is a pole variety and should produce all season if kept picked. Like cucumbers and some other veggies, if you get behind on picking, they stop producing. The flowers are a good sign. You'll get some more beans.

I had to wait until my peas finished up before I could plant my beans but I see little beans out there this evening so I'm happy about that. These are McCaslan. I am looking forward to them. I'll be able to start picking in a few days.
Old June 29, 2007   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just so yawl tomato heads know, 'the bush bean is the determinant of the bean family.

Anybody grow cranberry beans?

I love the things.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2007   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that's a good way to look at a bush bean. Like a determinate tomtao, you get most of your crop at once, so bush beans are good for people who are doing canning a freezing projects. The only bush bean variety I've grown that just kept producing for weeks and weeks was Bountiful. They usually don't go on that long.
Old June 30, 2007   #8
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default green beans and a bean blossom

Yes, you should get a continuous crop froom your Rattlesnake pole beans. However, very hot weather and dry weather will shut them down for a period of time. (That was most of the summer for my Rattlesnake beans last year!) Sounds like yours have already picked up again.

Bush beans will produce a large first crop, then a smaller second crop, and even a third if you let them. I like the "bush beans are the determinants of the bean world" concept.

Below is a photo of a blossom from Blue Lake pole beans. I had never realized--even after growing them for many years--that some of the blossoms are white and some yellow-tan. Cool.
DSC_7009 Blue Lake bean blossom.jpg

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2007   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hey, there's been some extreme weather here, high fuel prices and fresh veggies are trendy again. Add shool holidays and a desparate captive audience and, well, beans are selling for $19.95 a kilo... that's for regular green beans... so how fabulous you all have beans...
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2007   #10
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
beans are selling for $19.95 a kilo...

If my math is correct, that's about US$7.75 per pound. I have a fortune in green beans sitting in my kitchen...
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2007   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I don't grow them but cook the dried ones, they're great. I think they're the same as Roman beans.
Old July 4, 2007   #12
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Earl,

Check out the ying yang beans in the potager post on the members forum... look kind of cool.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote