Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 8, 2012   #1
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Default Help---cuke Seedlings---edges of leaves yellow

Hi! Any experienced cuke growers out there who could give some advice?

I'm growing some replacement seedlings for some cucumbers that were sadly murdered in their youth. I grow a lot of tomatoes but don't know much about other veggies and haven't had great luck with cucumbers; I thought it was early enough to be worth trying again, though, even if I get a small, late harvest.

I wanted to let the seedlings get good and sturdy before putting them out, because I've had more insects than usual this year (I garden organically); some replacement squash I direct seeded was munched to death the day it emerged from the ground. So I started indoors under lights.

When my seedlings got to be filling out their 3-inch pots, I potted them up into six-inch pots two days ago. Now the edges of all the leaves are turning yellow; the rest of the seedling still looks a healthy, dark green.

They are in a standard potting mix, which I've been keeping moist.

I know cucurbits aren't supposed to like having their roots disturbed, so maybe
the potting up is causing them distress? Or should I be letting the soil dry out between waterings by now? Should I fertilize?

There may be no hope for these babies but I'd love to give them a chance if I can. I do love lemon cucumbers, and have such a pretty little trellis for them made from an old wooden clothes-drying rack....

Any advice appreciated.

Z
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote