Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 7, 2009   #1
mayax68
Tomatovillian™

Default UK or European Plant Web Sites that ship to USA

Does anyone know of a UK or Europen Web Store that ships to US?

I came across a hydrangea called Vanilla Strawberry and fell in love with it. It is available in UK and Europe and will become avaiable in USA in the spring of 2010. I found a whole seller that will distribute it. They told me that so far no nurseries around me placed orders for this plant, nor will they be selling to the US Web Site stores or Home Depots and such. I thought that I would be able to order it on-line in the spring, but can not seem to find a site that ships to US.

Here is a link to the beauty:

http://www.baileynurseries.com/pressrelease/8971

Thanks.
Maya.
mayax68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009   #2
mjc
Tomatovillian™

That's because almost everything, especially plant materials, is forbidden by the USDA to be imported without a permit and/or a phytosanitary certificate. And you as the purchaser are the 'importer' and are responsible for getting the cert (which can be very expensive, many times over $100...especially for a single plant...the cert is usually good for an entire order...whether that is one or 1,000 plants and it costs the same).
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2009   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Many of the independent nurseries in my area will take special orders for plants, provided that they already do business with the wholesale nursery that stocks the plant. (By "independent nursery," I mean a nursery that is not a chain.) So you can ask the wholesaler if it supplies any nurseries in your area. http://www.baileynurseries.com/gcl

If not, you can call around to your local nurseries -- or go in person, with the photo of the plant you want -- and ask if they'd be willing to special-order for you.

Failing that, find a local garden writer and see if you can get them interested in the plant, write about it, and create demand locally.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Plants, it isn't going to happen. Seeds, depends on the retailer. If there is something you want real bad shoot me a PM and maybe I can help. Ami
Old January 6, 2010   #5
mayax68
Tomatovillian™

I found it! Jung Seeds Catalog offered it this year. Everyone I showed the picture to ended up falling in love with this plant, so I ordered 4 plants.

Thank you all for your responses.
Maya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HydrVanillaStrawberry.jpg (88.2 KB, 21 views)
mayax68 is offline   Reply With Quote