Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 29, 2010   #1
renjan
Tomatovillian™

Default White's Winter Smooth Skin

Can anyone suggest where I can obtain seeds for White's Winter Smooth Skin tomatoes? I believe these may an old british variety of tomato, but they seem impossible to locate these days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
renjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2010   #2
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I did a google search since I never heard of this variety. It must be rare since the only links to pop up were here and a book by Roy Genders. Roy Genders was English so I assume you are correct that this is an old British variety. I can only suggest posting to garden forums where people from the UK hang out. Hopefully someone knows something.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
I did a google search since I never heard of this variety. It must be rare since the only links to pop up were here and a book by Roy Genders. Roy Genders was English so I assume you are correct that this is an old British variety. I can only suggest posting to garden forums where people from the UK hang out. Hopefully someone knows something.
Remy
And I forgot to post here to say that I also had done a Google search as well as looking at some of my SSE YEarbooks and found nothing.

There's a UK website, well I just Googled it and he no longer sell or lists vegetable seeds but was very knowledgable about older varieties.

I agree with Remy about going to some place like Garden Web ( my suggestion, not hers) where there is a separate Forum for UK and Australian growers. We have some here but no one apparently knows about the variety you ask about.
Old June 3, 2010   #4
renjan
Tomatovillian™

Many thanks Remy and Carolyn. Will try my luck via Garden Web. Thanks for the suggestion!
renjan is offline   Reply With Quote