Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 18, 2011   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default What catalog is HPS?

Got a HPS catalog in mail yesterday. What company is it. Looks related to Totally Tomatoes in a way.

CECIL
Old November 18, 2011   #2
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

HPS (Horticultural Products and Services) is part of Jung's - which also includes Totally Tomatoes, R.H. Shumway's and Vermont Bean.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2011   #3
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I've ordered many seeds from HPS in the past. Lots to select from ( I buy tomatoes, peppers, and lots of other veggies through them) and the prices are generally very good. I also used to sell seeds on Ebay, and bought a number of varieties of seeds in bulk quantity from HPS at some fantastic prices. I'd have to say that overall, they're a decent supplier - I've never had a problem and they ship quickly in foil-lined packs.
Old November 21, 2011   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I agree with the above. I've bought from them often as they have better prices on an item if you are looking for a larger quantity.

Before Jungs bought many of these smaller companies, HPS was the "bulk" branch of Shumway's. Both were owned at that time by (Wayne?) Hilton.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2011   #5
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to both of you. The info was handy.

CECIL
Old November 29, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I agree with the above. I've bought from them often as they have better prices on an item if you are looking for a larger quantity.

Before Jungs bought many of these smaller companies, HPS was the "bulk" branch of Shumway's. Both were owned at that time by (Wayne?) Hilton.

Carol
Yes Carol,it was Wayne HIlton who built up a stable of companies after buying the Shumway name for $2000 and then formed Totaly Tomatoes and Seymour's Seeds ( flowers) and then in a rather uncomfortable buyout bought Vermont Bean.

I thought that HPS was the only company he hung onto but if the return address on the HPS catalog is Jungs, then I guess that one went with the others.

Jung's wanted all of them just to get the Shumway name b/c the progonal Jung who formed the company was good friends with the original Shumway who formed that company.

Wayne e-mailed me a couple of yers ago and said that he missed being in the seed business and was looking for another opportunity. but I haven't heard anything since then.
Old November 29, 2011   #7
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i agree as well on HPS having some very good bulk prices... bought 400 asparagus roots from them this past spring.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2012   #8
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

I bought this year and got 1/8 ounce of pineapple tom seeds for $5.75 and tripple crop for 4.65 a 1/8 ounce and a 1/8 ounce is well over a 1000 seeds. the have great bulk prices on radishfor 1/4 pound for less than $5. i also got Kossic Kohlrabi which is a huge over a pound in size. I also bought Amish paste tom for $5.95 a 1/8 ounce