Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 25, 2013   #16
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Polish C

Carolyn

I just checked the 1996 Seed Saver's Yearbook for Polish C and here is what you offered.
Vigorous Potato leaf foliage. You also noted that you have a regular leaf variant. So I guess the PL one is the correct one?
Neil G, (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree View Post
Carolyn

I just checked the 1996 Seed Saver's Yearbook for Polish C and here is what you offered.
Vigorous Potato leaf foliage. You also noted that you have a regular leaf variant. So I guess the PL one is the correct one?
Neil G, (Canada)
Neil, look on page 341 of your 95 yearbook, it's easier to find that one than the 1996 one for me right now and you'll see me listing it as PL, exc yield of blemish free 1-2 # fruits with superb taste/performance in 1994.My seed source was NY RI R in 1991, whom I knew quite well,, he lived in W NYS.

I did find my 91 YEarbook and here's what Robert had written:

....very large PL, extrermely productive, fruits slightly ribbed with good flavor, avg size about 12 oz, often comes in multiples of 4-5, from E.S. Peszynski MN, 89, via NGA swap, he rec seeds from cousin in Detroit who simply called it the Polish tomato.

Why was it called Polis C I'm not sure but at one time there was a variety that did have an A, a B, and a C, and I think it was one that George Breault used to list.

So yes, the seeds I got from Robert, who listed it as PL, were PL for me as well, with that one RL variant,

And yes, the original Polish C was PL.

Right below that listing I found a surprise. I'd listed a Polish Heart, also from Robert and Robert also listed it and said he got it from Benedict Testa, Depen, NY, via a Polish friend,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Polish_C

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Polish_Heart

I bet I still have some seeds of the Polish Heart around here somewhere since I've never thrown out any saved seeds since about 1990 or so.

Carolyn
Old December 9, 2013   #18
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Weisnicht's Ukrainian for the past two seasons. I consider it to be the highest flavored red/pink beefsteak I've ever tasted. It has an intense balanced flavor. It is fairly meaty, but quite juicy at the same time. Both years my plants of it were potato leafed. I received my seed from a SSE member. I'm pretty sure it was from Mr. Weisnicht. I do plan on growing it again next year. If you like highly flavored tomatoes, I'd recommend this one.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote