Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 27, 2020   #316
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Midnight Sun

The first one to start blushing, this is the last of KarenO's creations that I have available to me so far to ripen. 400 grams of big heart, heavier than I thought initially for the size and both plants are loaded up, if we like the taste, it will return and be hard to knock out of the garden. Very impressive plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midnight Sun (1).JPG (116.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Midnight Sun (4).JPG (111.1 KB, 69 views)
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2020   #317
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Ivory Egg

Productive and relatively tasty for a paste, most likely to return.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Ivory Egg (1).JPG (141.7 KB, 70 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #318
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Robledillo de la jara

The third of the half kilo maters so far, still to be tasted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robledillo de la jara (1).JPG (128.2 KB, 69 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #319
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Taiga

Another of karenO's creations that we are still to taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taiga (1).JPG (92.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Taiga (3).JPG (122.6 KB, 70 views)
Old February 27, 2020   #320
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Zena's gift

One that KarenO has spoken about here on TV, plants is not really happy, but will get enough to have a good taste and plenty of seed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zena's Gift (1).JPG (141.9 KB, 73 views)
Old February 28, 2020   #321
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
One that KarenO has spoken about here on TV, plants is not really happy, but will get enough to have a good taste and plenty of seed
Hi There, Perhaps it’s just the light in the photo but this doesnt look quite right for Zena’s gift, Zena’s gift is pink, no green shoulder. Is that Antho on the shoulders? Or maybe just the light.
Zena’s gift is a pink very blunt heart with ribbed shoulders. Large regular leaf plant.
Where were the seeds from?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2020   #322
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi There, Perhaps it’s just the light in the photo but this doesnt look quite right for Zena’s gift, Zena’s gift is pink, no green shoulder. Is that Antho on the shoulders? Or maybe just the light.
Zena’s gift is a pink very blunt heart with ribbed shoulders. Large regular leaf plant.
Where were the seeds from?
KarenO
Plant was from Mcsee, who I believe got the seed from Marsha's last offer here. Will have a look at the plant tomorrow and see where the how the other fruit coming along are progressing and take some photos outside on the plant. That one was taken inside under lights. While checkout your original thread again also.
Old February 28, 2020   #323
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Taiga looks ripe, I’m so interested in how the flavour is for you. Your midnight suns look great. I’m pleased you find it productive and I hope the flavour is there for you as well! Thank you for growing them all!
KarenO
Old February 28, 2020   #324
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

KarenO, after looking at your original thread, I must agree that what I have is not Zena's Gift. Will still take extra photos and have a good taste before I decide to keep seeds. Big taste session coming up this weekend with most of these too be tasted. It has been a pleasure to grow your plants out.

KARMA wise to date, Pink is the worst performer to date, the two purples are very similar, both have good taste and have split with all the rain we have had, at 240 mm, over 2.5 times normal for this time of year and Peach fitting somewhere in-between.
Old February 28, 2020   #325
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Mcsee did not get the Zena's Gift seeds from Marsha, but from another member here, don't know who. Same person supplied him with the Chang Li Cherry, of which I got the correct one and he got some red Cherry. I will have to ask the original source if she still has some if I want to grow Zena's Gift again
Old February 28, 2020   #326
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mcsee did not get the Zena's Gift seeds from Marsha, but from another member here, don't know who. Same person supplied him with the Chang Li Cherry, of which I got the correct one and he got some red Cherry. I will have to ask the original source if she still has some if I want to grow Zena's Gift again
Too bad about all the rain, that is hard on a thin skinned tomato for sure. If you pm me I’d be happy to send you some Zena’s Gift seeds for next season
KarenO
Old February 28, 2020   #327
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We are sitting on or maybe slightly above average for our rainfall this year so far, which for most of Australia is unthinkable as a lot of the country will be lucky to get half its average. On Wednesday evening, 3 balls into my sons under 12 cricket game, the heavens opened up and we got 9.5 main about 15 mm, it has stopped for short periods only since and as of 9 am Friday morning we have had around 50 mm/2 inches in 40 hours and still raining as I type. This has the surface drains of this old swamp well and truly running and left plenty of water lying around.

Attached photo shows the vegetable garden with water from Wednesday's thunderstorm in the track, on the left are some Purple podded snow peas and to the right are the tomatoes. Later in summer proper, I will aim to replicate this when I water with the water lying on the local silt and plants growing on imported sandy loam allowing the plants to draw from the extra for a day or so. Will only do so when the humidity is naturally low.
Interesting set up. May I ask how long your stakes are, what kind of wood are they, and how many seasons you get out of them? Thanks for all of the photos. Things are warming up a bit here in the geographical center of the lower 48, so the tomato seeds will be starting soon.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2020   #328
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Great pictures, Whwoz!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2020   #329
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

It appears at least two varieties I grew this season have thrown wrong fruit to what they were named as. First was Zena's Gift, but having never seen it before, I didn't realise I had wrong fruit on it, same with Chang Li Cherry, with the plant I kept being a red cherry instead of a yellow plum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200218_134142238 (Medium).jpg (125.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200107_111738591 (Medium).jpg (64.5 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by mcsee; February 28, 2020 at 05:47 PM.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2020   #330
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic transit gloria View Post
Interesting set up. May I ask how long your stakes are, what kind of wood are they, and how many seasons you get out of them? Thanks for all of the photos. Things are warming up a bit here in the geographical center of the lower 48, so the tomato seeds will be starting soon.
STG, the tomato stakes are six feet long, one inch square hardwood, Eucalyptus, probably in the Ash group. They last for years. 10+ probably, not really sure, don't keep track. We belt them into the ground about a foot. They do break at times in wind with big plants attached. We don't prune our plants, which is suitable for our low humidity, if your humidity is high you would want to prune for air flow.