Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 14, 2018   #1
MSchep
Tomatovillian™

Default What is this?

Hi Friends,
Looking for help/advice on what I might be dealing with in these leaves I've just cut off my Sungold plants. I've been dealing with aphids in higher number this year than I have seen before, but other than that, its been fair growing so far. I have been pruning a fair bit (two stems per plant). Disease has not been a major issue for me before, humidity is always a non issue here.

If there is not a clear diagnosis, any advice on other symptoms I should be looking for a given hypothesis would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance for all the wisdom you more experienced growers can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4162.jpg (651.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4163.jpg (350.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4164.jpg (527.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4165.jpg (405.5 KB, 170 views)
MSchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Oh, dear, I'm going to guess early blight. But do get other opinions.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

In your photos I am seeing small white insects, possibly Aphids. Look at the leaves with a magnifying glass to be sure. I use Take Down garden spray if there is a large infestation.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; June 17, 2018 at 01:26 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

It does look like there are a few aphids.
Nan
Old June 17, 2018   #5
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Nan. Early blight.

The light specks are too small to be aphids and the wrong shape. Judging by the tiny chew marks on the leaves, I'd say they might be thrips.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #6
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Earky blight. I would spray with daconil asap.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #7
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Combo of EB and some insect(s) having a meal.

My way to address it is Neem, DE, Spinosad, applied in the evening, and then a shot of 1/2 strength Cooper a few days later. Takes down most intruders.

Best of luck.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Remove the affected leaves. Spray with copper, then after it dries, dust with DE. Copper for the blight & DE for the bugs.
Nan
Old June 17, 2018   #9
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Looks like some grey mold to me, but I'm no expert.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm used to seeing a more clearly defined line between dark and light in the spots of Early Blight... my guess would be, the aphids feeding plus sooty mold - their personal mess.
So I would remove the affected leaves and treat the aphids for long term solution.

I had aphids on my tomatoes this year. After removing the first major infestation along with the excess leaves, I used insecticidal soap spray and then I had to do some spot treatment occasionally for a week or two. Plus put out the borax baits for ants which are the cause of the problem. And I haven't found any aphids in the past week or so, I think it has worked.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #11
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well that's the last time I will ever post that my pests were taken care of... spotted one ant, then a hundred aphids in the end of the greenhouse where I wasn't actually busy.
Old June 18, 2018   #12
MSchep
Tomatovillian™

Wow, thanks all for the replies, and help. I had a suspicion it was EB, so appreciate the confirmation. I've just picked up Liqui-Cop, and will start the treatment in the morning.

I have definitely had a bunch of aphids this year, and have been trying to keep at bay with insecticidal soap. It just is so hard to get them when they are hiding on the underside of the leaves!

Bower - can you help illuminate me on how the ants are tied to aphids? I have noticed more ants this year as well, but have to be careful of what I use since my dog gets quite nosy...

Sorry for the delay in follow up, for some reason I didn't get the alerts when these replies were posted. I really appreciate all the help!
Old June 19, 2018   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

MSchep, ants are to aphids as farmers are to cows. They put em out to pasture and then they milk em. Ants take care of their aphid farms for the honeydew - a sweet secretion of aphids (their poop I guess). But the honeydew gets all over stuff anyway, and that is where sooty mold will grow - nasty nasty mess. So whatever you spray is going to help IMO just by washing that sweet sticky stuff off the leaves (at least, that's what I'm hoping!)

Most ant baits are basically borax or boric acid combined with sugar or peanut butter. The notion is they will take it back to the nest and kill the queen. It's nontoxic (more or less!) to humans or pets but you still wouldn't want your dog to eat the stuff. Some baits come in a little tin that you poke open with ant size holes, so that is pet safe unless the dog decides to chew up a metal can. Different types of ants seem to prefer different baits, but I think it's safe to assume, the aphid farming ants probably like sugar. The bait cans are probably best for minimizing any effect on other creatures including pets, but for me the drops that you put out on their ant paths are sometimes more effective.
Old June 19, 2018   #14
MSchep
Tomatovillian™

Got it. Thank you!