Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 7, 2013   #1
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Default My first bell peppers

I'm growing bell peppers for the first time. Due to some issues, I got a late start planting the seeds (may 1), so everything got delayed. The crop was strange. Out of four plants, I only got one pepper initially, and it appeared fully grown around the beginning of August. I wanted to see it change color to red or yellow, so I left it on the vine. It took an entire month before I saw any color change at all, but it wasn't the bright red. It was a dark maroon, almost like it was going bad, but it still felt very solid. So I picked it.

But now that it's been sitting on my counter a couple days, it's definitely starting to turn the bright red color I was expecting. Do they not turn until you harvest them? I'm getting a lot more of them coming in now (but the biggest are only 2" tall at this point), and I'd like to know if I can pick them as soon as they're full size if I want them to turn red.
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2013   #2
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

They will turn red but I've found that they are more inviting to bugs and birds when they get ripe on the plant so I pick them at first or early blush and let them ripen on the counter.
Old September 7, 2013   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

It takes quite a while for a green pepper to turn whatever color it is finally going to turn. A month doesn't sound unreasonable. The cool weather makes it even longer. There's a thread here somewhere that talks about ripening peppers off the plant. I'll find it and post the link here.

Here you go. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29862

Last edited by Doug9345; September 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2013   #4
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Good info. Thanks!!
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote