Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 18, 2018   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Comments on hybrid determinates

I planted a few plants each of Heatmaster, Florida 91, and Bella Rosa in July. All three are hybrid determinate plants which are supposedly heat resistant with decent tolerance to many diseases. I planted all three simply to see how well they perform in the high heat of a Texas July, and how well they produce in the fall. Our normal first frost is mid November, so they should have plenty of time to grow and produce. They passed the first test by surviving some 110 degree F. days and growing during the heat. Now they seem to be surviving some mid ninety, humid weather with cooler nights. No signs yet of any fungal problems. They are all blooming well and even setting a few tomatoes in the high heat.

I'm curious what other folks experiences have been with those three varieties. I would like to compare your experience (good and bad) with my results. I'm primarily interested in production and taste results, but any comment will be appreciated.

I also planted some Big Beef plants at the same time. They produced well as spring planted tomatoes. Currently the July planted Big Beef plants are growing at double the rate of the determinate July planted varieties and are very healthy through the heat.

Last edited by DonDuck; August 18, 2018 at 11:13 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote