Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 6, 2013   #1
Stimacked
Tomatovillian™

Default Second crop with TPS Seedling Micro tubers?

I have a number of TPS seedlings growing at the moment. This is my first experiment at this. I should be able to harvest some micro tubers in July from my TPS plants. (Hopefully, if they survive this month!)

I understand that once harvested. These microtubers need a dormancy period before they can be planted again. How long does this need to be?

It gets very hot here in the months of July and August and early September. Night temps are usually above 20 c and daytime temps peak at ranges between 31c to 38c. I am thinking to store any harvested microtubers at a cooler location during the heat of the summer. If I store any harvested microtubers at a cooler location, is it possible to create dormancy conditions for the harvested potato microtubers, to have a dormancy period for about 6 weeks and then to actually grow another potato crop with these microtubers again for example in late August for an Autumn crop?

Two years ago I planted some regular tats in September and got a good crop in early December. I learnt how to protect tats from frost last
Autumn so think I could repeat the feat!

Another thing I will try is to grow some more TPS and plant these out in September to see If I can get a second crop this way.

Last edited by Stimacked; June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Stimacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Three months is my answer...some less...some more.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote