Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 27, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Soil Thermometer - Which One?

Years of planting without a soil thermometer and planting by suggested dates have lead to planting seeds too early and too late...wasted time, money, and effort.

A Walmart search turned up these results: http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0 I don't have a lot of extra money for gardening, but I would like to get a good Soil Thermometer. What would you buy? I chose Walmart because there's no shipping cost when you choose free store pickup, and my wife works at the local Walmart.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2014   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

What I have used for a lot of years was a meat thermometer with the low temp that shows 30 degrees and the upper temp 200. The stem is 6 inches long and the probe has a little tube for a case. The whole thing cost less than $5, but that was about 5 years ago. I think the Wal-Mart site sells meat thermos cheaper than garden soil ones.

Amazon has this one: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-5989N-C...9777640&sr=1-9

Made by Taylor (good brand) and reads 0-220 degrees. $6.50 but needs to have $35 for free shipping.

Last edited by PaulF; December 28, 2014 at 09:43 AM.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Get a Tel-Tru I have used them for years and they can be calibrated.

Here is the one you want and it can be used for cooking meat and checking water temps.

Helpful hint.
To test the accuracy of a thermometer get a class fuul of ice and water stir it up and put the thermometer in it.
It should read 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C.

I use mine to cook meat like a pork roast.
When the temp of the center reaches 145 I pull the roast out.
It will then go up to about 150 degrees, the NEW safe temp for pork which I have been cooking it for years anyway.

Thermometers are so exciting and useful all around the house.
http://www.googleadservices.com/page...__GSHP&cad=rja

Taylors are good also

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; December 28, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2014   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

After reading the two replies, I got out our meat thermometer and two candy thermometers. I didn't expect the candy ones to work. It turns out that one does work but it starts at 90F -450F. The other candy thermometer no longer works.

The meat thermometer starts at 0F and goes up to 220F. It's like the one Paul described above. I checked it as you suggested Worth. I put it in ice water and it did read 32F. I also checked it under running hot water from the tap. Sure enough, it read 120F. That is what I set the water heater to. We set it that low because we have two young grandchildren who love to play in water. Better safe than sorry.

The meat thermometer is ChefStyle brand. Most likely bought at Walmart or HEB, and it was under $10.
Old December 28, 2014   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt I will post this again just so folks will know.
It is a good idea to have it down low for children but even 120 degree warter will scald if skin is left in it long enough.
But before that happens the child will pull their hand out.

Water Temperature Setting Exposure Time Effects of Exposure to Hot Water at High Temperatures Water at 100 degF or below See Safety Note Most water heaters are unlikely to scald an adult occupant.
Water at 120 degF 5 minutes 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin.
Water at 130 degF 30 seconds 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin.
Water at 140 degF 5 seconds 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin.
Water at 150 degF 1.5 seconds 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin.
Water at 160 degF .5 second 2nd & 3rd degree burns on adult skin.

Notice each one says adult skin.
The bathtub is a place that needs to be monitored with small children around.
A small child could get in and before they could get out be burned.

I have even heard of mean kids cranking the water up as a joke.

Not a joke and not funny.

I'm glad you already had a thermometer, I figured you did.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I told my wife that we could use our meat thermometer and she told me, "I don't want my meat thermometer in dirt!" I thought about it and told her, "I don't want my garden thermometer in meat!"

We found another chefstyle brand thermometer at HEB for $5.47. It goes from 0-220F and has a 1.75" head that is slightly magnified and can be inserted in the ground up to 6". It's stainless steel and can also be calibrated.