Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 9, 2019   #16
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Wrong thread

Last edited by JosephineRose; January 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

LOL

Now everyone will imagine what you said!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #18
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Just joined. I hope you don't mind having a Juventus fan in your group
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #19
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Fritz, Tomatoville is a "no politics or religion zone" So any discussion of Napoli vs. Juventus would be strongly frowned upon.

Just don't step out of line at Our Tomatoes. I won't be giving you any benefit of the doubt.

Old January 16, 2019   #20
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Fritz, Tomatoville is a "no politics or religion zone" So any discussion of Napoli vs. Juventus would be strongly frowned upon.

Just don't step out of line at Our Tomatoes. I won't be giving you any benefit of the doubt.

Napoli 1 Juventus 0

Got you. I'll behave. I promise
Old January 16, 2019   #21
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Shouldn't you be a Fiorentina fan?
Old January 16, 2019   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Fred, I don't use Facebook, but your site looks cool.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2019   #23
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Shouldn't you be a Fiorentina fan?
Noo!!! I was born and raised in Siena. Siena and Florence have been rivals for centuries until the Republic of Siena was finally defeated by the Duchy of Florence and the Medici family in 1555.
Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siena
The final battle took place not far from where I reside now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteriggioni

It will take another 4-5 centuries before we can be friends with our Florentine neighbours
Old January 17, 2019   #24
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
Noo!!! I was born and raised in Siena. Siena and Florence have been rivals for centuries until the Republic of Siena was finally defeated by the Duchy of Florence and the Medici family in 1555.
Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siena
The final battle took place not far from where I reside now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteriggioni

It will take another 4-5 centuries before we can be friends with our Florentine neighbours
Siena?

That explains your adoption of Juventus!
Old January 17, 2019   #25
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Siena?

That explains your adoption of Juventus!
Your knowledge of Italian soccer teams is surprising to me! When I was a kid Siena soccer team sucked really bad (same as now), so I picked another team to root for that had our town colors. Luckily I didn't choose Udinese (which by the way had a superstar like Zico at that time)
Old January 17, 2019   #26
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
Your knowledge of Italian soccer teams is surprising to me! When I was a kid Siena soccer team sucked really bad (same as now), so I picked another team to root for that had our town colors. Luckily I didn't choose Udinese (which by the way had a superstar like Zico at that time)
It is interesting that you chose a team with Siena's colors (and lucky that they were black and white!)

I knew Siena was a Serie A struggler a few years back. But I didn't realize how bad it was lately until I just looked it up.

For some reason about he same time I became very interested in tomatoes, I took a couple trips to southern Italy and I really love Napoli, the city. I have never been north of Roma.

My interest in soccer was also growing at the time. Because of associations with academia, I have a number of European friends, and that is part of it. Including one who is a Lazio fan (the Italian club I hate the most).

At the time I made my trips to Italy, I was following Newcastle in the Premier league. At that time Napoli had been relegated to Serie C. I followed their promotion back to Serie A, and have been following them ever since. I kind of like underdogs, and that is probably why I no longer really follow the Premier League, and I follow Napoli (because I started following them when they were down).
Old January 17, 2019   #27
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

About Orange Jazz Tomato...

The taste is excellent, it's very productive, and it is one of the few tomatoes that don't get bugs at the end of the season like so many oranges do that come in late in my area.

It also ripens earlier than any OP orange I have trialed.

Are there similar flavor profiles in this line - ones I may have overlooked or are in the pipeline for future release? I don't want to mess with perfection, but variety is fun too.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #28
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Orange Jazz is our best beefsteak. The only other one we have released is Jazz (Pink Jazz). Pink Jazz is pretty good, and the plants are similar. But I think Orange Jazz is better.

All of the other large tomatoes we are working on are unfinished.
Old January 23, 2019   #29
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
About Orange Jazz Tomato...

The taste is excellent, it's very productive, and it is one of the few tomatoes that don't get bugs at the end of the season like so many oranges do that come in late in my area.

It also ripens earlier than any OP orange I have trialed.

Are there similar flavor profiles in this line - ones I may have overlooked or are in the pipeline for future release? I don't want to mess with perfection, but variety is fun too.

- Lisa
I grew Orange Jazz for the first time last year. I loved the taste but I got a total of 4 tomatoes out of 2 plants. It was not very productive for me but I'm a pretty unexperienced farmer, so it may not be OJ's fault at all. Besides that, there are only a few heirloom varieties that I would classify as "very productive" (this could be an interesting thread...).
Old January 23, 2019   #30
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It is interesting that you chose a team with Siena's colors (and lucky that they were black and white!)

I knew Siena was a Serie A struggler a few years back. But I didn't realize how bad it was lately until I just looked it up.

For some reason about he same time I became very interested in tomatoes, I took a couple trips to southern Italy and I really love Napoli, the city. I have never been north of Roma.

My interest in soccer was also growing at the time. Because of associations with academia, I have a number of European friends, and that is part of it. Including one who is a Lazio fan (the Italian club I hate the most).

At the time I made my trips to Italy, I was following Newcastle in the Premier league. At that time Napoli had been relegated to Serie C. I followed their promotion back to Serie A, and have been following them ever since. I kind of like underdogs, and that is probably why I no longer really follow the Premier League, and I follow Napoli (because I started following them when they were down).
Nice story. Northern Italy looks very different from Southern Italy. There are beautiful mountains (the Alps) and some interesting cities. In general it's a lo9t colder and not just for the weather. The region where I live, Tuscany, may seem located in Northern Italy, but we say it belongs to central Italy. There are no big cities but many beautiful medieval towns (like Siena and other smaller ones). Plus it's hilly and you see vineyards everywhere. I am surprised (in a good way) that an American might like Napoli.
By the way...nice game against Lazio last Sunday...