Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 18, 2011   #1
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Default Beans for 2011

Another list that I'm trying to close on is beans. In the past, I've relied on bush beans, but I want to experiment with pole beans this year.

Here's what I have ordered:

Masai (bush haricot vert type for fresh use only)
Gold of Bacau (interesting sounding wax type pole bean)

Here's the ones I'm thinking of choosing from- I'd like to pick 1 or 2 and they need to be good for freezing:
Emerite
Uncle Steve's Italian
Purple Trionfo Violetto
Grandma Robert's Purple Pole

Thanks!
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I grew Emerite along with Purple Podded and a few other poles last year. It didn't perform or taste well for us, but I've heard good things about it from others.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #3
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I've only grown Emerite and Purple trionfo of those, and I think the emerite did better for me. I think the trionfo may stand up to freezing better, though. I picked the emerite while very thin for filet beans, so the frozen ones have gotten kinda mushy when cooked.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #4
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about New Hampshire, but here in West Virginia two bean varieties are head and shoulders above the rest, Rattlesnake and Fortex. I grew Emerite last year. It wasn't bad, but it didn't come close to Fortex. Of course just the opposite could be true up north. Things are different down here south of the Mason Dixon line.

I heard that there is a try hockey for free program in New Hamshire this weekend (Feb 19th). Have you heard of it? If you happen to see any local news reports on how it turned out could you PM (private message) me?

Thanks and good luck.

Randy

Last edited by WVTomatoMan; February 18, 2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added date.
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

uncle steves freezes ok. been doing it for over 35 years. i haven't grown the others on your list. it may come out on the soft side, so if you are looking for a firmer texture that would be a consideration. you will get a lot of them if you decide to grow it. i do have grandma roberts purple pod coming from sandhill preservation this year.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Emerite is supposed to be THE pole bean for freezing. I've never frozen them, so I cannot confirm it. As a fresh snap, it is the firmest bean I've tried. It's relatively early (64 DTM) and has good production. It is a weak climber, so I tie young vines to poles to help them climb.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #7
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I like Neckargold (but that's another wax bean type).
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote