Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old October 30, 2011   #1
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Default Sugar Snap Peas

It's been awhile since I've grown sugar snaps and would love to have some come next spring. Anyone have some favorites? I've grown both tall n small.
Old October 30, 2011   #2
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i've been growing "super sugar snap" for the past few years... seems to do well under a fairly wide variety of conditions...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2011   #3
salix
Tomatovillian™

Super Sugar Snap for us as well. They did very well in our horrible growing season this year. Of course, your climate is just a tad different than mine!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2011   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

I'm just down the road from you (in Bonsall) and have never raised peas. Do they grow here in the winter? (i.e. do they take a mild freeze?)

Thanks,
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2011   #5
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for super sugar snap.
Old November 2, 2011   #6
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Steve,

I've grown sugar snap, oriental pea pod and regular peas and they do well in our winter weather. I have usually waited too long and planted in Jan instead of fall. The problem with that is it can get hot here as early as March, certainly April, which wreaks havoc with the peas. Hoping this year is different and I get around to planting this month. They have taken a frost but not sure about a freeze. I'm fixin' to find out. I will have to check out super sugar snap. Is it a tall or small snap pea? I seriously need to clean out my seed box too. All the seeds are probably too old to use.

Thanks, guys.
Old November 3, 2011   #7
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Steve,

I've grown sugar snap, oriental pea pod and regular peas and they do well in our winter weather. I have usually waited too long and planted in Jan instead of fall. The problem with that is it can get hot here as early as March, certainly April, which wreaks havoc with the peas. Hoping this year is different and I get around to planting this month. They have taken a frost but not sure about a freeze. I'm fixin' to find out. I will have to check out super sugar snap. Is it a tall or small snap pea? I seriously need to clean out my seed box too. All the seeds are probably too old to use.

Thanks, guys.
Barb,

Thanks... then I think I'll order some seeds and hopefully get them planted this month. I need a healthy snack - while doing my computer work I've been reaching for the chips too much lately. I was going to buy some sugar snap peas at the market last week but they wanted $4 for a small bag of pea pods (about a 5 minute snack) so I decided it was better to not be so healthy.

Steve
Old November 3, 2011   #8
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Super Sugar Snap needs a trellis - grew about 5' tall for me.
Old November 3, 2011   #9
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
I need a healthy snack - while doing my computer work I've been reaching for the chips too much lately. I was going to buy some sugar snap peas at the market last week but they wanted $4 for a small bag of pea pods (about a 5 minute snack) so I decided it was better to not be so healthy.

Steve
Ah yes! I know the feeling. I work on the computer all day which is located in the kitchen about 10 feet away from the fridge.

....and snap peas are so easy to grow. The kids actually fight over them when they are picking them. We have to keep reminding them to wash them first!
Old November 3, 2011   #10
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Super Sugar Snap needs a trellis - grew about 5' tall for me.
agreed... tall, not bushy... i grow mine on sections of chicken wire fencing...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

After trying about 2 dozen varieties, Super Sugar Snap is the only snap pea that returns to my garden.

It's only equal in flavor, for me, is Sugar Snap. Super Sugar Snap matures about one week earlier than Sugar Snap. Both of these are so sweet when cooked, that I like them better uncooked. Some days, they just never leave the garden before being consumed.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I grow them here too in big pots. They climb up the patio supports and the low Winter sun warms them thru the day but the patio cover offers some protection from frost. Guess I better get some started...... LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #13
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I grew Cascadia, a short snap pea, this year. It did pretty well. Ate most of them raw. A chicken wire fence did wonders for my pea success---those rabbits like to let the plants get about four inches tall, then eat them off in the middle of the night.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2011   #14
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

I ordered some Super Sugar Snap from Johnny's and planted them today. I liked that Super Sugar Snap had some mildew resistance - I have a lot of mildew spores floating around here in the winter. We'll see how they do...