Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old April 1, 2008   #1
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Default Official date for Buffalo-Niagara 2008

Hi all,

Remy, Mark and I have taken the liberty to decide the date for Buffalo-Niagara 2008 (and beyond). Hope nobody has big objections to that!

We decided that it would be good to have it the weekend after Labor Day every year. People usually don't have things planned with their family that weekend. Saturday is the best day if people are traveling far.

So: Buffalo Niagara 2008 will be on Saturday September 6th.

Remy has graciously offered to host this year also, at her family's vacation home in Grand Island.

We hope everyone that came in 2007 will come in 2008 too, and that those that didn't make it in 2007 can make it this year!

Hilde
Old April 5, 2008   #2
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

Excellent! I am putting that date in the family calendar!
Old April 16, 2008   #3
tomatoaddict

Whoo hooo! Penguingardener. I loved you and your family.
I'm only coming if Hilde doesn't follow me around with a camera.
Old April 17, 2008   #4
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
Whoo hooo! Penguingardener. I loved you and your family.
I can't. My kids will be there and I have to follow them around and at the same time try to take pictures of all the tomatoes... I might be able to squeeze in some pictures of tomato heads too, if you really insist...

Can't wait to see both of you again!

Hilde
Old April 19, 2008   #5
Nottingham Farm
Tomatovillian™

Patty & I are looking forward to attending again this year. We also hope to see you at the Fireside Tomato Fest in East Concord NY. It will be on Sunday August 24th. Hopefully my tomatoes will be ready by then!
Old April 19, 2008   #6
tomatoaddict

What is the Fireside Tomato Fest?
Old April 19, 2008   #7
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
What is the Fireside Tomato Fest?
Mark and I went to the First annual Fireside Tomato Fest last year, and here is the thread Mark started when he got back. I loved it there. It was a beautiful setting, by the Fireside Inn. You get an impression from the thread Mark started, and the pictures I took are there.

If you look at the Buffalo-Niagara thread from last year, there are pictures of Marcia and Patty, who were the organizers behind the Fireside Tomato Fest.

Marcia, I am coming this year too, and hopefully several others here will come too! Will you still have the salsa contest? Those are some of the best salsas I have ever tasted. Mmmm.

Hilde
Old April 20, 2008   #8
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

"Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict

I can't. My kids will be there and I have to follow them around and at the same time try to take pictures of all the tomatoes... I might be able to squeeze in some pictures of tomato heads too, if you really insist..."

Terry,
I got a new memory card for the camera, so Sheryl can take lots of pics this year, so no worry about Hilde not catching you.

Marcia,
Nice to see you post! I hope to be able to get your party with Hilde too.

Hilde,
Hopefully the other kids there will amuse the girls so you don't get too worn out.
It looks like everyone from last year is coming this year. Plus a few new attendees including people who wanted to come last year and couldn't make it, and Norm's friend who is the owner a local seed company Faerie Garden Seeds. So it is shaping up to be a wonderful party again.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old April 20, 2008   #9
Nottingham Farm
Tomatovillian™

The Fireside Tomato Fest is actually a fund raiser where Patty & I brought our love of gardening and animals together. It was sort of modeled after Carmel CA anual tomato fest but a much less grander event. Still in all we were over whelmed with the responce last year.

We had tomato tasting with different classes that included both heirlooms & hybrids, a salsa contest and best tomato recipe. We will also be adding Mark's suggestion of a sample table just for sharing.

We had several sponsors who also set up booths i.e. Lockwoods Green houses, another local green house and Animal Outfitters.

My daughter set up a table and sold lots of heirloom tomatos from my garden. I had a thought for this year.......what do you think of the Buffalo-Niagara group doing the table instead of my daughter. We could donate extra tomatos from our gardens and use any profits for Remy's party. Certainly those wonderful Sate' her husband made on the grill and those great prizes weren't with out cost.

Let me know your thoughts! Marcia
Old April 21, 2008   #10
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi Marcia,
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think we have to do that unless others want to. Personally, I just want to go to your party and have a good time!
We are going to have a raffle at this year's party. It was Rob's idea. He has a tomato poster from SSE(I think) that he wanted to raffle. I also have the tomatoes from the party that I canned. I thought those would make nice raffle prizes also.
The cost of everything really wasn't that much. I am the ultimate shopper, and everything looks nicer with a pretty tag and big bow! Working at Wegmans helps too since I'm there when things get marked on clearance. But I consider it money well spent anyway.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old April 22, 2008   #11
Nottingham Farm
Tomatovillian™

Well there is another reason for this suggestion of having a Buffalo-Niagara table at the Fireside tomatoe fest.......
Mark Korney naturally had such great information. People were asking me lots of questions and it was so nice to point them in Mark's direction. Not only could he pimp our tomatoes , cover expences but would be a great sourse of tomato info for all.
Your thoughts????? Marky?????
PS We will situate the table well away from the salsa contest so you will stay on task
Old April 25, 2008   #12
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

How close is East Concord to Niagara?
Old April 25, 2008   #13
Nottingham Farm
Tomatovillian™

East Concord is 35 miles south of Buffalo.
Old July 11, 2008   #14
freeze12
Tomatovillian™

Newbie from "Sloan,NY" and a heirloom gardner & would like to attend the meet!!
Old July 11, 2008   #15
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze12 View Post
Newbie from "Sloan,NY" and a heirloom gardner & would like to attend the meet!!
I'm around the corner... Iron Island... off Bailey by the Police station & Moreland Field...