Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old July 11, 2008   #16
freeze12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
I'm around the corner... Iron Island... off Bailey by the Police station & Moreland Field...
Only a couple miles away!How are Your Tomato plants doing with all this rain?Mine are doing okay & would do better with more sun!
Old July 11, 2008   #17
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze12 View Post
Newbie from "Sloan,NY" and a heirloom gardner & would like to attend the meet!!
That's great! Welcome! The taste fest is a lot of fun!

Did you get hit by the hail storm on June 16th also?

How are everyone's plants doing? I am staring at a lot of green tomatoes so far, still weeks away from the first ripe ones I think. So far I haven't lost a plant, not even to hail or to the fact that a bird bit ALL the branches off of one of the plants to use for nesting material!

Hilde

Last edited by Hilde; July 11, 2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarification
Old July 11, 2008   #18
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi Freeze,
I could of swore the post arrived in my email with the name Dan attached, but I could be hallucinating. Anyway, we would love to have you come. I will be putting am email together to send to everyone interested once it gets a bit closer to Sept. 6th. I will send directions, and other info then. If you've got any questions now, please don't hesitate to ask by posting or PM.
I've played pool at many a bar out your way. I used to be captain of a pool team.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old July 11, 2008   #19
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Where is this shindig being held?
Old July 11, 2008   #20
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

About half way between Buffalo & Niagara Falls!
Old July 14, 2008   #21
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

Ooh, I think I just saw first blush on my cherry romas. Otherwise, I'm also staring at a lot of green ones like Hilde. I am rather surprised at how prolific German Red Strawberry seems to be, my first time growing it.
Old July 15, 2008   #22
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguingardener View Post
Ooh, I think I just saw first blush on my cherry romas. Otherwise, I'm also staring at a lot of green ones like Hilde. I am rather surprised at how prolific German Red Strawberry seems to be, my first time growing it.
Hi! I'm staring at a lot of green ones too . Hilde and I did eat one ripe cherry(Sungold?) on Sunday at her house. Her tomato plants look great. She is going to have a great harvest this year! Mine are doing pretty good. If not for the double whammy on the hail, I would be doing great. It still looks like it will be a good year though.

DonnaMarie,
If you are planning on visiting Niagara Falls, our party is fun event to go to!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old July 15, 2008   #23
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Isn't it funny how happy we are to get the first ripe ones, see the first blossoms turn to fruit and to see the first blush and the getting to taste the tomatoes for the first time. And then at the end of the season we care a lot less (oh no, do I have to go out and pick tomatoes again). Remy and I shared my first ripe (or almost ripe, it has a little green on it) tomato on Sunday, a .3 oz Sweet Gold. How is that for a taste fest? Yesterday I had another tomato starting to blush, a Black Cherry! Yay! Have you eaten the cherry roma yet, Pomona? Tell us how it tasted!

Hilde
Old August 10, 2008   #24
freeze12
Tomatovillian™

I received My invitation via PM!! With al this rain the Tomato's will be water logged..will the rain ever stop? :-)
Old August 10, 2008   #25
freeze12
Tomatovillian™

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
I'm around the corner... Iron Island... off Bailey by the Police station & Moreland Field...
I am in the village of Sloan/Rutland Ave off of Broadway.Cannot miss My house as all You have to do is look on the right hand side for the house with all the flowers..Castor plants,Elephant Ears,Wave Petunias,Joe Pye & so on.....
Old August 10, 2008   #26
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Isn't it funny how happy we are to get the first ripe ones, see the first blossoms turn to fruit and to see the first blush and the getting to taste the tomatoes for the first time. And then at the end of the season we care a lot less (oh no, do I have to go out and pick tomatoes again). Remy and I shared my first ripe (or almost ripe, it has a little green on it) tomato on Sunday, a .3 oz Sweet Gold. How is that for a taste fest? Yesterday I had another tomato starting to blush, a Black Cherry! Yay! Have you eaten the cherry roma yet, Pomona? Tell us how it tasted!

Hilde
Hi Hilde,

The Cherry Romas have been sweet. The plant is incredibly prolific. I did bag some blossoms so I'm hoping to save some seeds, there aren't many seeds in each grape.

We now are also harvesting Snow White Cherry tomatoes, I've only tried the first couple, they are tangy. DD has been eating most of what's harvested. And the plant looks like it may not make it for the event, here's hoping.

We also just started harvesting some pineapple tomatillos, am letting the husks completely dry before eating though. I think this are also considered to be ground cherries?
Old August 11, 2008   #27
remy

Freeze,
"With al this rain the Tomato's will be water logged..will the rain ever stop? :-)"
You are not kidding! Holy Cow, how much rain can we get?! I have many full size tomatoes so I'm starting to get lots of cracks. There's nothing we can do though. Even if we all bring waterlogged tomatoes to the party, it will still be fun!

Pomona,
Are the pinapple tomatillos small like the size of Snow White? Ground cherries are like that.
Remy

Old August 12, 2008   #28
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi Remy,

Well, with the husk, the pineapple tomatillo is the same size as a Snow White but after you remove the fruit from the husk, it's pretty small.

Old August 12, 2008   #29
remy

Pomona,
Nice little basket of tomatoes you got going there! It sure looks like you do have ground cherries. They are small like that and very sweet. I need to grow some next year.
Remy

Old August 14, 2008   #30
freeze12
Tomatovillian™

Exclamation All Purpose Fertilizer-Fish emulsion

I did not know where to post this but being a lot of Western NewYorkers are her I would post this.As the title states..I found an ad on Buffalo Craiglist for the mentioned and more at a VERY good price.He has the fish emulsion=4- 1gallon bottles(case) for $10.00!!!He also has Insecticidal soap etc.
the guys name is Don and his phone number is:716-982-2598 and lives near the zoo.I am stocking up on some myself at this price!!!..... Thanks!

Last edited by freeze12; August 26, 2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added area code