Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 27, 2015   #1
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Default Top Dressing for Top Watering Containers

As I am new to all of this, please forgive my ignorance. I am familiar with how to set up SIP watering containers as the Earthbox, Earthtainer, etc., where you spread (or some like to incorporate it directly through the mix) your dolomite about 3/4 up from the container and then add some more mix then lay your two cups of granular fertilizer in a strip towards the top and cover it with more mix.

However, on non-sip containers where you will be watering from the top via automatic irrigation drip, could you spread a cup of granular fertilizer over the top, then cover it with a little more mix with worm castings mixed in and put the mulch back on top?

Obviously I am talking about containers all ready made up with mature plants in them. Would that 1 cup of fertilizer be too much going down each time the drip (with a 4" wide spray) comes on? Drip spray comes on twice a day for 5 minutes. I am in the hot dry desert. Container are from 5 to 15 gallons each and water flows through quickly and out the bottom.

I am trying to get a feeling how this release of granular fertilizer placed on top compares to pouring a wet solution of your mixed fertilizer on each week.

I would think that a more constant, as opposed to a one time splurge each week would be better. However, I have no idea how much would seep down at each watering. It may be too much. Can you shed some light on this for me?

Last edited by schill93; May 27, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015   #2
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have tried many different container combinations. Simply find a fertilizer that is a continuous feed type that suits tomatoes, supplement with Cal Mag or other brands of Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulfate, plant in pro mix or any fluffy mix. If your environment is good you will have loads of tomatoes, if you are trying organic or something close this changes.
Good Luck
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote