Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 8, 2015   #1
slowpoke73ds
Tomatovillian™

Default Should i prune the lower branches on my tomato plants--

There are a few rows of branches on each plant that are producing nothing anf habe no flowers either=== Total greenhorn here
slowpoke73ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #2
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Personal choice.
I prune below the first cluster, or anything that touches the ground. I feel it helps slow foliage disease from getting an early start.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #3
ricman
Tomatovillian™

I also prune anything below the first cluster of tomatoes. This helps with air flow and keeps anything from touching the ground.

Rick
ricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You said, "total green horn", so I will take your word for it.
What some people call branches is really a huge compound leaf.
Here is a compound leaf.

At the crotch of the leaf there is what some people call suckers.
This sucker is really a new branch growing.
Along this branch you will see what is called a truss.
This truss is where the tomatoes grow.

So with that said I cut the lower leaves off of the plant as they start to touch the ground.
As the plant grows I will do this up to, 'but not limited to, about 18 inches.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #5
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

You'll find that the majority of growers here prune the first 3 nodes at the very least.. The purpose is to keep bacteria and fungal spores in the soil from splashing onto the leaves and causing disease.. Good mulching practices will help some as well.. This isn't a cure-all unfortunately, as many pathogens are airborne, but it will certainly hedge your bets.. Give the plants some time, they'll bloom for ya..

Not sure of your temps, but I see you're in florida.. The reason I mention it is because at this time of year you're probably going to have a hard time getting any fruit to set (tomatoes to develop)... When the daytime temp gets over 90 particularly coincided with high humidity, the pollen will get tacky and not fertilize the flowers. You'll probably also notice a bit of blossom drop (flowers shriveling and falling off). As long as you keep tending to the plants they'll set fruit when the weather allows.. Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful (sometimes frustrating) world of tomatoes!
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #6
slowpoke73ds
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for responding-- i do need all the help i can get-- this is not my first garden but the only time i actually am trying to know something about my plants-- i plant in pots
Old July 8, 2015   #7
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

As soon as they are a couple of feet tall, I start removing the lower leaves leaves and branches, primarily for the reasons others have stated. This year I'm doing a lot more pruning than that to try out training to 2-3 stems. The result has been far better disease control than any year and that when the month of May was biblical style flooding and as of today, the rainiest first half (or so) of a year in DFW's 100 plus year history of tracking such things.

That said, it's hot and getting hotter here. I've planted some fall crop tomatoes at this point as heat will end most fruit set over the next couple of months, except for cherries. Other plants I'm trimming up and trying to keep healthy to produce again in the fall. You are likely in a similar phase weather wise. Good luck.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #8
slowpoke73ds
Tomatovillian™

thanks again