Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 26, 2009   #1
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Default Turkey manure

Some of the best tomatoes I have ever tasted came from an old italian gentleman who used turkey manure in his garden. So I thought this year I'm gonna try it. I found a turkey farm willing to let me scoop some for free. I asked if she sold to home gardeners and she laughed. Come and get it she said. But don't take it all since some of her friends stop by periodocally for some as well.

So my question is for a 20 x 24 foot area how much would be enough and not too much to spread out and til in 2 months prior to planting time?

Duane
Old March 26, 2009   #2
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Duane, is it old? If it's fairly fresh their is a risk of buring plants and roots. Otherwise, I have used it mixed 1/3 manure to 2/3 dirt. When it composts in a pile,(I am talking about just a big pile of turkey manure) it is HOT and steams like crazy.
Old March 26, 2009   #3
Dukerdawg

I'm not real sure how fresh it is. I guess I won't know until I get over there this weekend. The lady did say not to overdo it because it will burn roots and plants as you mentioned. If I spread out maybe 10 gallons of it and let it sit for a month and then tilled it in and waited another 3-4 weeks....be okay...even if it is fairly fresh? Or no?
Old March 26, 2009   #4
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Our "blend" has 10% aged turkey manure - with topsoil & compost making up the rest.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #5
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Most turkeys should be gone by now (Thanksgiving & Christmas) so it should be at least 3 months old already.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #6
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Oh Duane, let me know how it works out, there's a turkey farm here in Livonia near me so I may give it a try as well.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #7
Dukerdawg

Steve, that is the place I am talking about. 5 mile between Farmington and Newburgh. The lady was very nice. I think they raise turkeys year 'round but probably cut back during non-holiday times. Should be enough for everyone!

Duane
Old March 26, 2009   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukerdawg View Post
I'm not real sure how fresh it is. I guess I won't know until I get over there this weekend. The lady did say not to overdo it because it will burn roots and plants as you mentioned. If I spread out maybe 10 gallons of it and let it sit for a month and then tilled it in and waited another 3-4 weeks....be okay...even if it is fairly fresh? Or no?
Dawg...Spred it out and water it good several times to flush out the urea.(Poultry manure cointains their "pee" in the form of urea as they do not pee seperatly.) Turn it or rake it and do the same thing. If you do all that for a month it should be fine and I would mix 1/3 manure < 2/3 dirt. It really is good manure but one has to be careful not to over-do it and to make sure it has leeched some and aged. I have a friend who grows champion roses that she shows and all she uses is turkey manure and goat manure.
Old March 26, 2009   #9
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

I have used turkey manure in the garden for many years. It was a great tradition. My wife, old farmgirl that she is, would claim that helping me was 1 of my Christmas gifts! The farm I got it from cleans out their barns usually the week before Christmas. So I would call up there to check it out. Most years they would just let me have whatever I wanted for free. A couple years they wanted $10. for it. They told me there was a local landscaping company that used a lot of it. Usually I composted half of it & the other half I mixed in my garden beds. I didn't put it in too heavy & it was well-mixed. I never recognized any deleterious effects on my plants.
Steve
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #10
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

duane,

check with the msu extension office, they may be able to help you with how much is too much, and safe time to use. don't over look turkey feathers. they can be used too. the guy we told you about from the hood, used them one year, probably from the same place. you have to mix them into the soil so they don't mat. i would think they would be a slow release type fertilizer. bet the dogs sniffers will be working overtime once you add the poop to the garden.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote